Date:   Mon, 19 Aug 2019 23:15:02 +0300
From:   Ido Schimmel <idosch@...sch.org>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>, roopa@...ulusnetworks.com,
        nikolay@...ulusnetworks.com, netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...il.com>,
        stephen@...workplumber.org
Subject: Re: What to do when a bridge port gets its pvid deleted?

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 08:15:03PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On 6/28/19 7:45 PM, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> > > Yes, I didn't think it through during the first email. I came to the
> > > same conclusion in the second one.

> > > Well, not at the DSA core level.
> > > But for Microchip:
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/tree/drivers/net/dsa/microchip/ksz9477.c#n576
> > > For Broadcom:
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/tree/drivers/net/dsa/b53/b53_common.c#n1376
> > > For Mediatek:
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-next.git/tree/drivers/net/dsa/mt7530.c#n1196
> > >
> > > There might be others as well.
> >
> > That sounds bogus indeed, and I bet that the two other drivers just
> > followed the b53 driver there. I will have to test this again and come
> > up with a patch eventually.
> >
> > When the port leaves the bridge we do bring it back into a default PVID
> > (which is different than the bridge's default PVID) so that part should
> > be okay.
> >

> Adding a few more networking people.
> So my flow is something like this:
> - Boot a board with a DSA switch
> - Bring all interfaces up
> - Enslave all interfaces to br0
> - Enable vlan_filtering on br0
>
> What VIDs should be installed into the ports' hw filters, and what should
> the pvid be at this point?
> Should the switch ports pass any traffic?
> At this point, 'bridge vlan' shows a confusing:
> port    vlan ids
> eth0     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> swp5     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> swp2     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> swp3     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> swp4     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> br0      1 PVID Egress Untagged
> for all ports, but the .port_vlan_add callback is nowhere to be found.

The bridge adds a PVID on the port when it is enslaved to the bridge.
The configuration only takes effect when VLAN filtering is enabled. I'm
looking at dsa_port_vlan_add() and it seems that it does not propagate
the VLAN call when VLAN filtering is disabled. This explains why you
never see the callback.

I assume that if you configure the bridge with VLAN filtering enabled
and then enslave a port, then everything works fine.

mlxsw avoids the situation by forbidding the toggling of VLAN filtering
on the bridge when its ports are enslaved.

> Whose responsibility is it for the switch to pass traffic without any
> further 'bridge vlan' command? What is the mechanism through which this
> should work?
>
> What if I do:
> sudo bridge vlan add vid 100 dev swp2 pvid untagged
> echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/vlan_filtering
> echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/class/net/br0/bridge/vlan_filtering
> What pvid should there be on swp2 now?
> 'bridge vlan' shows:
> port    vlan ids
> eth0     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> swp5     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> swp2     1 Egress Untagged
>          100 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> swp3     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> swp4     1 PVID Egress Untagged
>
> br0      1 PVID Egress Untagged
> If the 'bridge vlan' output is correct, whose responsibility is it to
> restore this pvid?

I suggest to follow mlxsw and avoid this mess. You can support both VLAN
filtering enable / disable without supporting dynamically toggling the
option.