Date:   Mon, 26 Aug 2019 18:09:16 +0200
From:   Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
To:     David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
Cc:     Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>,
        netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>,
        Stephen Hemminger <sthemmin@...rosoft.com>, dcbw@...hat.com,
        Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@...e.cz>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>, parav@...lanox.com,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        mlxsw <mlxsw@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next rfc 3/7] net: rtnetlink: add commands to add and
 delete alternative ifnames

Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 08:56:17AM CEST, jiri@...nulli.us wrote:
>Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 06:01:59PM CEST, dsahern@...il.com wrote:

>>> Okay, again, could you provide example of a message to add/remove
>>> altname using existing setlink message? Thanks!
>>>

>>Examples from your cover letter with updates
>>
>>$ ip link set dummy0 altname someothername
>>$ ip link set dummy0 altname someotherveryveryveryverylongname
>>
>>$ ip link set dummy0 del altname someothername
>>$ ip link set dummy0 del altname someotherveryveryveryverylongname
>>
>>This syntactic sugar to what is really happening:
>>
>>RTM_NEWLINK, dummy0, IFLA_ALT_IFNAME
>>
>>if you are allowing many alt names, then yes, you need a flag to say
>>delete this specific one which is covered by Roopa's nested suggestion.
>
>Yeah, so you need and op inside the message. We are on the same page,
>thanks.

DaveA, Roopa. Do you insist on doing add/remove of altnames in the
existing setlist command using embedded message op attrs? I'm asking
because after some time thinking about it, it still feels wrong to me :/

If this would be a generic netlink api, we would just add another couple
of commands. What is so different we can't add commands here?
It is also much simpler code. Easy error handling, no need for
rollback, no possibly inconsistent state, etc.