Date:   Fri, 13 Sep 2019 11:44:54 -0500
From:   George McCollister <george.mccollister@...il.com>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: SFP support with RGMII MAC via RGMII to SERDES/SGMII PHY?

Every example of phylink SFP support I've seen is using an Ethernet
MAC with native SGMII.
Can phylink facilitate support of Fiber and Copper SFP modules
connected to an RGMII MAC if all of the following are true?

1) The MAC is connected via RGMII to a transceiver/PHY (such as
Marvell 88E1512) which then connects to the SFP via SERDER/SGMII. If
you want to see a block diagram it's the first one here:
https://www.marvell.com/transceivers/assets/Alaska_88E1512-001_product_brief.pdf

2) The 1G Ethernet driver has been converted to use phylink.

3) An I2C controller on the SoC is connected to the SFP cage.

4) TxFault, LOS and MOD-DEF0 are connected to GPIO on the SoC.

5) MDIO is connected to the intermediate PHY.

Any thoughts on what might be missing to support this (if anything)
would be appreciated.

Cheers,
George McCollister