Date:   Mon, 23 Sep 2019 18:17:58 +0100
From:   Edward Cree <ecree@...arflare.com>
To:     Paul Blakey <paulb@...lanox.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
CC:     Pravin Shelar <pshelar@....org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Vlad Buslov <vladbu@...lanox.com>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>,
        Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>,
        Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>,
        Simon Horman <simon.horman@...ronome.com>,
        Or Gerlitz <gerlitz.or@...il.com>
Subject: Re: CONFIG_NET_TC_SKB_EXT

On 23/09/2019 17:56, Paul Blakey wrote:
> Even following this approach in tc only is challenging for some
> scenarios, consider the following tc rules:
>
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 0 flower <match1> action goto chain 1
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 0 flower <match2> action goto chain 1
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 0 flower <match3> action goto chain 1
> ..
> ..
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 0 flower ip_dst <match1000> action goto chain 1
>
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 1 flower ip_proto tcp action tunnel_key set dst_ip 8.8.8.8 action mirred egress redirect dev2
This one is easy, if a packet gets to the end of a chain without matching any rules then it just gets delivered to the uplink (PF), and software TC starts over from the beginning of chain 0.  AFAICT this is the natural hardware behaviour for any design of offload, and it's inherently all-or-nothing.

> You'd also have to keep track of what fields were originally on the packet, and not a match resulting from a modifications,
> See the following set of rules:
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 0 prio 1 flower src_mac <mac1> action pedit munge ex set dst mac <mac2> pipe action goto chain 1
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 0 prio 2 flower dst_mac <mac2> action goto chain 1
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 1 prio 1 flower dst_mac <mac3> action <action3>
> tc filter add dev1 ... chain 1 prio 2 flower src_mac <mac1> action <action4>
This one is slightly harder in that you have to either essentially 'gather up' actions as you go and only 'commit' them at the end of your processing pipeline (in which case you have to deal with the data hazard you cleverly included in your example), or keep a copy of the original packet around.  But I don't see the data-hazard case as having any realistic use-cases (does anyone actually put actions other than ct before a goto chain?) and it's easy enough to detect it in SW at rule-insertion time.

I tried to explain this back on your [v3] net: openvswitch: Set OvS recirc_id from tc chain index, but you seemed set on your approach so I didn't persist.  Now it looks like maybe I should have...