Date:   Tue, 1 Oct 2019 08:44:32 -0700
From:   John Ousterhout <ouster@...stanford.edu>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: BUG: sk_backlog.len can overestimate

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 5:14 PM Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com> wrote:

> On 9/30/19 4:58 PM, John Ousterhout wrote:
> > As of 4.16.10, it appears to me that sk->sk_backlog_len does not
> > provide an accurate estimate of backlog length; this reduces the
> > usefulness of the "limit" argument to sk_add_backlog.
> >
> > The problem is that, under heavy load, sk->sk_backlog_len can grow
> > arbitrarily large, even though the actual amount of data in the
> > backlog is small. This happens because __release_sock doesn't reset
> > the backlog length until it gets completely caught up. Under heavy
> > load, new packets can be arriving continuously  into the backlog
> > (which increases sk_backlog.len) while other packets are being
> > serviced. This can go on forever, so sk_backlog.len never gets reset
> > and it can become arbitrarily large.
>
> Certainly not.
>
> It can not grow arbitrarily large, unless a backport gone wrong maybe.

Can you help me understand what would limit the growth of this value?
Suppose that new packets are arriving as quickly as they are
processed. Every time __release_sock calls sk_backlog_rcv, a new
packet arrives during the call, which is added to the backlog,
incrementing sk_backlog.len. However, sk_backlog_len doesn't get
decreased when sk_backlog_rcv completes, since the backlog hasn't
emptied (as you said, it's not "safe"). As a result, sk_backlog.len
has increased, but the actual backlog length is unchanged (one packet
was added, one was removed). Why can't this process repeat
indefinitely, until eventually sk_backlog.len reaches whatever limit
the transport specifies when it invokes sk_add_backlog? At this point
packets will be dropped by the transport even though the backlog isn't
actually very large.