Date:   Wed, 16 Oct 2019 13:22:35 -0400
From:   Murali Karicheri <m-karicheri2@...com>
To:     Vinicius Costa Gomes <vinicius.gomes@...el.com>,
        Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
CC:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: taprio testing - Any help?

On 10/16/2019 01:14 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
> On 10/16/2019 01:02 PM, Murali Karicheri wrote:
>> Hi Vinicius,

>>> Your expectation is correct.

>>> Remember that taprio (in software mode) has no control after the packet
>>> is delivered to the driver. So, even if taprio obeys your traffic
>>> schedule perfectly, the driver/controller may decide to send packets
>>> according to some other logic.
>>>
>> That is true.
>>
>> I think I get why it can't work without ETF offload which is missing in
>> our hardware. Here is what my understanding. Please correct it if wrong.
>>
>> Our hardware has priority queues implemented. So if there are no
>> packets in the higher priority queue, it would send from the lower
>> priority ones. Assuming packets gets dequeue-ed correctly by
>> taprio and that packets are only in one of the lower priority TC.
>> i.e in the above example, BBBBBB are present when TC1 Gate is open.
>> Assuming there are more packets than actually sent out during TC1
>> window, and assuming no packets in the TC0 queue (AAAAA is absent)
>> then hardware will continue to send from TC1 queue. So that might
>> be what is happening, right?
>>
>> So it is required to deliver frames to driver only when the Gate for
>> the specific traffic class is open.
> Plus, number of packets delivered should be based on available time
> in the current window.

Also I see in the taprio code

/* There are a few scenarios where we will have to modify the txtime from
  * what is read from next_txtime in sched_entry. They are:
  * 1. If txtime is in the past,
  *    a. The gate for the traffic class is currently open and packet can be
  *       transmitted before it closes, schedule the packet right away.
  *    b. If the gate corresponding to the traffic class is going to
open later
  *       in the cycle, set the txtime of packet to the interval start.
  * 2. If txtime is in the future, there are packets corresponding to the
  *    current traffic class waiting to be transmitted. So, the following
  *    possibilities exist:
  *    a. We can transmit the packet before the window containing the txtime
  *       closes.
  *    b. The window might close before the transmission can be completed
  *       successfully. So, schedule the packet in the next open window.
  */
static long get_packet_txtime(struct sk_buff *skb, struct Qdisc *sch)
{

So if I enable ETF, looks like packets get dequeue-ed based on txtime
which match with the schedule entries. So packets would arrive at the
driver at the correct time. Of course need to play with delta of the
ETF configuration.

Thanks

Murali