Date:   Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:42:06 +0100
From:   Tomas Winkler <tomasw@...il.com>
To:     "gregkh@...uxfoundation.org" <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:     "Ertman, David M" <david.m.ertman@...el.com>,
        Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>,
        "Nguyen, Anthony L" <anthony.l.nguyen@...el.com>,
        "Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        "linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org" <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
        "dledford@...hat.com" <dledford@...hat.com>,
        "Ismail, Mustafa" <mustafa.ismail@...el.com>,
        "Patil, Kiran" <kiran.patil@...el.com>,
        "lee.jones@...aro.org" <lee.jones@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 01/20] ice: Initialize and register multi-function device to
 provide RDMA

> > > bus really only for platform devices?
> > >
> > > Yes, how many times do I have to keep saying this?
> > >
> > > The platform bus should ONLY be used for devices that are actually platform
> > > devices and can not be discovered any other way and are not on any other type
> > > of bus.
> > >
> > > If you try to add platform devices for a PCI device, I am going to continue to
> > > complain.  I keep saying this and am getting tired.
> > >
> > > Now yes, MFD does do "fun" things here, and that should probably be fixed up
> > > one of these days.  But I still don't see why a real bus would not work for you.
> > >
> > > greg "platform devices are dead, long live the platform device" k-h

If I'm not mistaken,  currently the virtual devices do not have a parent and
may not  have a bus so there is no enumeration and hence binding to a driver.
This is not a case here, as the parent is the PCI device, and we need
to bind to a driver.
Code-wise the platform bus contains all the functionality needed by
such virtual bus, for example helpers for the adding of resources that
are inherited
from its parent PCI device,
 MMIO and IRQ,  the issue is just the name of the bus and associated sysfs?
In that case the  platform bus will be a special case of the virtual bus?
Thanks
Tomas