Date:   Tue, 19 Nov 2019 14:51:29 +0800
From:   Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>
To:     Parav Pandit <parav@...lanox.com>,
        Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "gregkh@...uxfoundation.org" <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:     Dave Ertman <david.m.ertman@...el.com>,
        "linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org" <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
        "nhorman@...hat.com" <nhorman@...hat.com>,
        "sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
        "jgg@...pe.ca" <jgg@...pe.ca>, Kiran Patil <kiran.patil@...el.com>,
        "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
        Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
        "Bie, Tiwei" <tiwei.bie@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next v2 1/1] virtual-bus: Implementation of Virtual Bus

On 2019/11/19 下午12:36, Parav Pandit wrote:
> Hi Jason Wang,

Right, I just start to think whether it was generic to support the case
as virtio or mdev to avoid function duplications.

>   mlx5_core (creator of netdevices) and mlx5_ib (create of rdma devices) on single PCI function.
> Meaning 'multiple classes of devices' are created on top of single underlying parent device.

This is not what I read, the doc said:

"
+One use case example is an rdma driver needing to connect with several
+different types of PCI LAN devices to be able to request resources from
+them (queue sets).  Each LAN driver that supports rdma will register a
+virtbus_device on the virtual bus for each physical function. The rdma
+driver will register as a virtbus_driver on the virtual bus to be
+matched up with multiple virtbus_devices and receive a pointer to a
+struct containing the callbacks that the PCI LAN drivers support for
+registering with them.

"

So it means to connect a single rdma driver with several RDMA capable
LAN drivers on top of several PCI functions. If this is true, I'm not
quite sure the advantage of using a bus since it's more like aggregation
as what bond/team did.

> So bus is just the 'matching service' and nothing more. It is not meant to address virtio, mdev, sub functions usecases.

Probably, for virtio mdev we need more than just matching: life cycle
management, cooperation with VFIO and we also want to be prepared for
the device slicing (like sub functions).

Thanks