Date:   Wed, 20 Nov 2019 12:07:59 +0800
From:   Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>
To:     Parav Pandit <parav@...lanox.com>
Cc:     Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "gregkh@...uxfoundation.org" <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Dave Ertman <david.m.ertman@...el.com>,
        "linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org" <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
        "nhorman@...hat.com" <nhorman@...hat.com>,
        "sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>,
        "jgg@...pe.ca" <jgg@...pe.ca>, Kiran Patil <kiran.patil@...el.com>,
        "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
        Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
        Tiwei Bie <tiwei.bie@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next v2 1/1] virtual-bus: Implementation of Virtual Bus

On 2019/11/20 上午11:38, Parav Pandit wrote:

> [...]

Just to make sure we're on the same page. Sub function is only one of
the possible cases for virtio. As I replied in another thread, we had
already had NIC that does virtio at PF or VF level. For reality, I mean
the effort spent on convincing all vendors to use devlink.

>> I still don't see why devlink is conflicted with GUID/sysfs, you can hook sysfs
> It is not conflicting. If you look at what all devlink infrastructure provides, you will end up replicating all of it via sysfs..

To clarify, I'm not saying duplicating all stuffs through sysfs. I meant
whether we can:

1) create sub fucntion and do must to have pre configuration through
devlink
2) only after sub function is created one more available instance was
added and shown through sysfs
3) user can choose to create and use that mdev instance as it did for
other type of device like vGPU
4) devlink can still use to report other stuffs

> It got syscaller support too, which is great for validation.
> I have posted subfunction series with mdev and used devlink for all rest of the esw and mgmt. interface to utilize it.
>
> sriov via sysfs and devlink sriov/esw handling has some severe locking issues, mainly because they are from two different interfaces.
>
>> events to devlink or do post or pre configuration through devlink. This is much
>> more easier than forcing all vendors to use devlink.
>>
> It is not about forcing. It is about leveraging existing kernel framework available without reinventing the wheel.
> I am 100% sure, implementing health, dumps, traces, reporters, syscaller, monitors, interrupt configs, extending params via sysfs will be no-go.
> sysfs is not meant for such things anymore. Any modern device management will need all of it.

I'm not familiar with other type of devices, but they should have their
own vendor specific way to do that. That the real problems.

Thanks