Date:   Tue, 3 Dec 2019 09:24:34 -0800
From:   Josh Hunt <johunt@...mai.com>
To:     subashab@...eaurora.org, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:     Neal Cardwell <ncardwell@...gle.com>,
        Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: Crash when receiving FIN-ACK in TCP_FIN_WAIT1 state

On 11/29/19 6:51 PM, subashab@...eaurora.org wrote:

>>> First, I would like to understand if we hit this problem on current
>>> upstream kernels.
>>>
>>> Maybe a backport forgot a dependency.
>>>
>>> tcp_write_queue_purge() calls tcp_clear_all_retrans_hints(), not
>>> tcp_clear_retrans(),
>>> this is probably for a reason.
>>>
>>> Brute force clearing these fields might hide a serious bug.
>>>

>> I guess we are all too busy to get more understanding on this :/
>
> Our test devices are on 4.19.x and it is not possible to switch to a newer
> version. Perhaps Josh has seen this on a newer kernel.

Sorry I've been out of town without email access. To be clear I've never
seen this crash. I've only noticed that we do not clear some counters
when we clear out the retransmit queue and this caught my eye when
debugging another unrelated issue. I will try and get some cycles this
week to instrument a kernel and reproduce the behavior I was seeing. My
concern IIRC was more around tcp_left_out() being > packets_out and
retrans_out causing tcp_packets_in_flight() to wrap. Anyway I'll report
my findings on this thread if they seem relevant otherwise maybe I'll
start another discussion thread. I don't want to pollute this one with
my ramblings...

Josh