Date:   Wed, 11 Dec 2019 22:20:33 +0100
From:   Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>
To:     Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: phylib's new dynamic feature detection seems too early

On 10.12.2019 18:15, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Back in dcdecdcfe1fc ("net: phy: switch drivers to use dynamic feature
> detection"), Heiner switched a bunch of PHYs over to using his
> wonderful new idea of reading the PHY capabilities from the registers.
> However, this is flawed.
>
> The features are read from the PHY shortly after the PHY driver is
> bound to the device, while the PHY is in its default pin-strapped
> defined mode. PHYs such as the 88E1111 set their capabilities according
> to the pin-strapped host interface mode.
>
> If the 88E1111 is pin-strapped for a 1000base-X host interface, then it
> indicates that it is not capable of 100M or 10M modes - which is
> entirely sensible.
>
> However, the SFP support will switch the PHY into SGMII mode, where the
> PHY will support 100M and 10M modes. Indeed, reading the PHY registers
> using mii-diag after initialisation reports that the PHY supports these
> speeds.
>
> This switch happens in the Marvell PHY driver when the config_init()
> method is called, via phy_init_hw() and phy_attach_direct() - which
> is where the MAC driver configures the PHY for its requested interface
> mode.
>
> Therefore, the features dynamically read from the PHY are entirely
> meaningless, until the PHY interface mode has been properly set.
>
> This means that SFP modules, such as Champion One 1000SFPT and a
> multitude of others which default to a 1000base-X interface end up
> only advertising 1000baseT despite being switched to SGMII mode and
> actually supporting 100M and 10M speeds - and that can't be changed
> via ethtool as the support mask doesn't allow the other speeds.
>
> Thoughts how to get around this?

Before reading PHY capabilities from the registers the capabilities
were completely static, I don't think this was better.
The capabilities read in phy_probe() are correct for the default
interface mode. And for all PHY drivers not implementing
config_init() we have to read the capabilities in phy_probe().

In case the capabilities can change in config_init() a first thought
would be to clear supported/advertised and re-read the capabilities
at the end of config_init().

Heiner