Date:   Mon, 30 Dec 2019 11:56:48 -0500
From:   Murali Karicheri <m-karicheri2@...com>
To:     Vinicius Costa Gomes <vinicius.gomes@...el.com>,
        Claudiu Manoil <claudiu.manoil@....com>,
        Alexandru Marginean <alexandru.marginean@....com>,
        Xiaoliang Yang <xiaoliang.yang_1@....com>,
        Roy Zang <roy.zang@....com>, Mingkai Hu <mingkai.hu@....com>,
        Jerry Huang <jerry.huang@....com>, Leo Li <leoyang.li@....com>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [v1,net-next, 1/2] ethtool: add setting frame
 preemption of traffic classes

Hi Vinicius,

On 12/18/2019 08:54 PM, Vinicius Costa Gomes wrote:
> Hi Ivan,

>>> Having some knobs in ethtool to enable when/how Frame Preemption is
>>> advertised on the wire makes sense. I also agree that it should be "on"
>>> by default.

>>> I see your point of using frame-preemption "standalone", I have two
>>> ideas:
>>>
>>> 1. add support in taprio to be configured without any schedule in the
>>> "full offload" mode. In practice, allowing taprio to work somewhat
>>> similar to (mqprio + frame-preemption), changes in the code should de
>>> fairly small;
>>
>> +
>>
>> And if follow mqprio settings logic then preemption also can be enabled
>> immediately while configuring taprio first time, and similarly new ADMIN
>> can't change it and can be set w/o preemption option afterwards.
>>
>> So that following is correct:
>>
>> OPER
>> $ tc qdisc add dev IFACE parent root handle 100 taprio \
>>        base-time 10000000 \
>>        num_tc 3 \
>>        map 2 2 1 0 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 \
>>        queues 1@0 1@1 2@2 \
>>        preemption 0 1 1 1
>>        flags 1
>>
>> then
>> ADMIN
>> $ tc qdisc add dev IFACE parent root handle 100 taprio \
>>        base-time 12000000 \
>>        num_tc 3 \
>>        map 2 2 1 0 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 \
>>        queues 1@0 1@1 2@2 \
>>        preemption 0 1 1 1
>>        sched-entry S 01 300000 \
>>        sched-entry S 02 300000 \
>>        flags 1
>>
>> then
>> ADMIN
>> $ tc qdisc add dev IFACE parent root handle 100 taprio \
>>        base-time 13000000 \
>>        sched-entry S 01 300000 \
>>        sched-entry S 02 300000 \
>>        flags 1
>>
>> BUT:
>>
>> 1) The question is only should it be in this way? I mean preemption to be
>> enabled immediately? Also should include other parameters like
>> fragment size.
>
> We can decide what things are allowed/useful here. For example, it might
> make sense to allow "preemption" to be changed. We can extend taprio to
> support changing the fragment size, if that makes sense.

The point is it make sense to configure pre-emption related parameters
independently of taprio since they are not related. User may use just
pre-emption to reduce latency in the communication path for their end
application.. So there should be a way to configure it independently of
taprio. Right??

>> 2) What if I want to use frame preemption with another "transmission selection
>> algorithm"? Say another one "time sensitive" - CBS? How is it going to be
>> stacked?
>
> I am not seeing any (conceptual*) problems when plugging a cbs (for
> example) qdisc into one of taprio children. Or, are you talking about a
> more general problem?

If I understand it correctly problem is not stacking taprio with cbs,
but rather pre-emption with other qdiscs and allow configuring
the parameters such as frag size. How do I use frame pre-emption as
an independent feature and configure frag size? Ethool appears to be
better from this point of view as Ivan has mentioned below.

Murali

--
Murali Karicheri
Texas Instruments