Date:   Thu, 9 Jan 2020 17:43:22 +0000
From:   Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@...linux.org.uk>
To:     ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ <vtol@....net>
Cc:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [drivers/net/phy/sfp] intermittent failure in state machine
 checks

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 05:35:23PM +0000, ѽ҉ᶬḳ℠ wrote:
> Thank you for the extensive feedback and explanation.
>
> Pardon for having mixed up the semantics on module specifications vs. EEPROM
> dump...
>
> The module (chipset) been designed by Metanoia, not sure who is the actual
> manufacturer, and probably just been branded Allnet.
> The designer provides some proprietary management software (called EBM) to
> their wholesale buyers only

I have one of their early MT-V5311 modules, but it has no accessible
EEPROM, and even if it did, it would be of no use to me being
unapproved for connection to the BT Openreach network.  (BT SIN 498
specifies non-standard power profile to avoid crosstalk issues with
existing ADSL infrastructure, and I believe they regularly check the
connected modem type and firmware versions against an approved list.)

I haven't noticed the module I have asserting its TX_FAULT signal,
but then its RJ45 has never been connected to anything.

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up