Date:   Tue, 18 Feb 2020 14:45:38 -0800
From:   ted.h.kim@...cle.com
To:     sgarzare@...hat.com
Cc:     stefanha@...hat.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: vsock CID questions

Hi Stefano (and Stefan),

I have some questions about vsock CIDs, particularly when migration happens.

1. Is there an API to lookup CIDs of guests from the host side (in
libvirt)?

2. In the vsock(7) man page, it says the CID might change upon
migration, if it is not available.
Is there some notification when CID reassignment happens?

3. if CID reassignment happens, is this persistent? (i.e. will I see
updated vsock definition in XML for the guest)

4. I would like to minimize the chance of CID collision. If I understand
correctly, the CID is a 32-bit unsigned. So for my application, it might
work to put an IPv4 address. But if I adopt this convention, then I need
to look forward to possibly using IPv6. Anyway, would it be hard to
potentially expand the size of the CID to 64 bits or even 128?

Thanks,
-ted

--
Ted H. Kim, PhD