Date:   Wed, 19 Feb 2020 07:00:26 +0100
From:   Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
To:     Joel Johnson <mrjoel@...il.net>
Cc:     Russell King <rmk+kernel@...linux.org.uk>,
        Baruch Siach <baruch@...s.co.il>,
        Gregory Clement <gregory.clement@...tlin.com>,
        Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@...tlin.com>,
        Rob Herring <robh@...nel.org>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: mvneta: comphy regression with SolidRun ClearFog

Hi Joel,

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 10:14:48PM -0700, Joel Johnson wrote:
> In updating recently I'm encountering a regression with the mvneta driver on
> SolidRun ClearFog Base devices. I originally filed the bug with Debian
> (https://bugs.debian.org/951409) since I was using distro provided packages,
> but after further investigation I have isolated the issue as related to
> comphy support added during development for kernel version 5.1.
>
> When booting stock kernels up to 5.0 everything works as expected with three
> ethernet devices identified and functional. However, running any kernel 5.1
> or later, I only have a single ethernet device available. The single device
> available appears to be the one attached to the SoC itself and not connected
> via SerDes lanes using comphy, i.e. the one defined at f1070000.ethernet.

When you say "or later", what most recent version did you try ? My
clearfog works perfectly on 5.4 with the new comphy. I'm having the 2
RJ45 ports working at 1 Gbps and the SFP port working at 1 and 2.5 Gbps.

> I'm not overly Device Tree savvy, but a cursory inspection of f548ced15f90
> at least matches my U-Boot SerDes lane configuration, with comphy1 and
> comphy5 expected to match lane #1 and #5 respectively.

I used to have to modify the device tree in the past, but haven't been
doing so for a while (well in fact I do have a small change there just
in order to enable eMMC which I have on my SOM, and I have just rechecked
that *only* the emmc stuff differs from the regular clearfog-base).

> The only notable difference I can see in /sys/firmware/devicetree is
> expected given the change in dtb, with the following new entries:
>
>     hexdump -C
> /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc/internal-regs/ethernet@...00/phys
>     00000000  00 00 00 0e 00 00 00 01                           |........|
>
>     hexdump -C
> /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/soc/internal-regs/ethernet@...00/phys
>     00000000  00 00 00 10 00 00 00 02                           |........|

I've just checked and have exactly the same values there.

> Likely unrelated, but a difference that also stood out is that
> armada-388-clearfog.dts contains a managed = "in-band-status" entry for eth1
> but not eth2.

If I remember well it's because with this port being attached to the
switch on the clearfog pro, there's no link status.

I used to have issues in the past with the PHY stuff on this board (up
to 4.9), and *seem* to remember that I once ended up in a similar
situation as yours due to a config issue, though I don't remmeber which
one. Here's what I have matching PHY in my config:

   root@...arfog:~# zgrep ^CONFIG.*PHY /proc/config.gz
   CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT=y
   CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_PHYS_TO_DMA=y
   CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PHYSDEV=m
   CONFIG_PHYLINK=y
   CONFIG_PHYLIB=y
   CONFIG_SWPHY=y
   CONFIG_FIXED_PHY=y
   CONFIG_MARVELL_PHY=y
   CONFIG_GENERIC_PHY=y
   CONFIG_PHY_MVEBU_A38X_COMPHY=y
   CONFIG_DEBUG_UART_PHYS=0xf1012000
   root@...arfog:~# uname -a
   Linux clearfog 5.4.2-clearfog #10 SMP Sun Dec 8 00:10:40 CET 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

I'm suspecting it was the FIXED_PHY that I was missing once but I would
be saying crap.

Hoping this helps,
Willy