Date:   Wed, 19 Feb 2020 08:45:07 +0200
From:   Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>
To:     Yunsheng Lin <linyunsheng@...wei.com>
Cc:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>, Lang Cheng <chenglang@...wei.com>,
        dledford@...hat.com, davem@...emloft.net, salil.mehta@...wei.com,
        yisen.zhuang@...wei.com, linuxarm@...wei.com,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org,
        Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC rdma-next] RDMA/core: Add attribute WQ_MEM_RECLAIM to
 workqueue "infiniband"

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 09:13:23AM +0800, Yunsheng Lin wrote:
> On 2020/2/18 23:31, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:35:35AM +0800, Lang Cheng wrote:
> >> The hns3 driver sets "hclge_service_task" workqueue with
> >> WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag in order to guarantee forward progress
> >> under memory pressure.
> >
> > Don't do that. WQ_MEM_RECLAIM is only to be used by things interlinked
> > with reclaimed processing.
> >
> > Work on queues marked with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM can't use GFP_KERNEL
> > allocations, can't do certain kinds of sleeps, can't hold certain
> > kinds of locks, etc.
>
> From mlx5 driver, it seems that there is GFP_KERNEL allocations
> on wq marked with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM too:
>
> mlx5e_tx_timeout_work() -> mlx5e_safe_reopen_channels() ->
> mlx5e_safe_switch_channels() -> mlx5e_open_channels()
>
> kcalloc() is called with GFP_KERNEL in mlx5e_open_channels(),
> and mlx5e_tx_timeout_work() is queued with priv->wq, which is
> allocated with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flags. see:
>
> mlx5e_netdev_init() -> create_singlethread_workqueue()

There are two reasons for that, first mlx5 driver was written far before
WQ_MEM_RECLAIM usage was clarified, second mlx5 has bugs.

> From the comment in kernel/workqueue.c, the work queued with
> wq with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag set seems to be executed without
> blocking under some rare case. I still not quite understand
> the comment, and I can not find any doc that point out the
> GFP_KERNEL allocations can not be done in wq with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM
> yet. Is there any doc that mentions that GFP_KERNEL allocations
> can not be done in wq with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM?

It is whole purpose of WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag - allow progress in case of
memory pressure. Allocation memory while we are under memory pressure
is an invitation for a disaster.

> /**
>  * rescuer_thread - the rescuer thread function
>  * @__rescuer: self
>  *
>  * Workqueue rescuer thread function.  There's one rescuer for each
>  * workqueue which has WQ_MEM_RECLAIM set.
>  *
>  * Regular work processing on a pool may block trying to create a new
>  * worker which uses GFP_KERNEL allocation which has slight chance of
>  * developing into deadlock if some works currently on the same queue
>  * need to be processed to satisfy the GFP_KERNEL allocation.  This is
>  * the problem rescuer solves.
>  *
>  * When such condition is possible, the pool summons rescuers of all
>  * workqueues which have works queued on the pool and let them process
>  * those works so that forward progress can be guaranteed.
>  *
>  * This should happen rarely.
>  *
>  * Return: 0
>  */
>

> The below is the reason we add the sets "hclge_service_task" workqueue
> with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM through analysing why other ethernet drivers has
> allocated wq with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM flag, I may be wrong about that:

Many drivers are developed using copy/paste technique, so it is wrong
to assume that "other ethernet drivers" did the right thing.

> hns3 ethernet driver may be used as the low level transport of a
> network file system, memory reclaim data path may depend on the
> worker in hns3 driver to bring back the ethernet link so that it flush
> the some cache to network based disk.

Unlikely that this "network file system" dependency on ethernet link is correct.

Thanks