Date:   Thu, 12 Mar 2020 16:58:43 +0800
From:   zerons <sironhide0null@...il.com>
To:     santosh.shilimkar@...cle.com
Cc:     netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        haakon.bugge@...cle.com
Subject: Re: Maybe a race condition in net/rds/rdma.c?

On 3/11/20 22:35, santosh.shilimkar@...cle.com wrote:
> On 3/10/20 9:48 PM, zerons wrote:

>>> MR won't stay in the rbtree with force flag. If the MR is used or
>>> use_once is set in both cases its removed from the tree.
>>> See "if (mr->r_use_once || force)"
>>>

>> Sorry, I may misunderstand. Did you mean that if the MR is *used*,
>> it is removed from the tree with or without the force flag in
>> rds_rdma_unuse(), even when r_use_once is not set?
>>
> Once the MR is being used with use_once semantics it gets removed with or without remote side indicating it via extended header. use_once
> optimization was added later. The base behavior is once the MR is
> used by remote and same information is sent via extended header,
> it gets cleaned up with force flag. Force flag ignores whether
> its marked as used_once or not.

Sorry, I am still confused.

I check the code again. The rds_rdma_unuse() is called in two functions,
rds_recv_incoming_exthdrs() and rds_sendmsg().

In rds_sendmsg(), it calls rds_rdma_unuse() *with* force flag only when
the user included a RDMA_MAP cmsg *and* sendmsg() is failed.

In rds_recv_incoming_exthdrs(), the force is *false*. So we can consider
the rds_rdma_unuse() called *without* force flag.
Then I go check where r_use_once can be set.

__rds_rdma_map()
	rds_get_mr()
		rds_setsockopt()

	rds_get_mr_for_dest()
		rds_setsockopt()

	rds_cmsg_rdma_map()
		rds_cmsg_send()
			rds_sendmsg()

It seems to me that r_use_once is controlled by user applications.

I also wonder if we can ensure that the MR found in rds_rdma_unuse()
gets removed, then "if (mr->r_use_once || force)" doesn't make any sense.

Sorry to keep bothering you with my questions. I wish I had such a device
that I can test it on.

Best regards,