Date:   Mon, 23 Mar 2020 12:21:23 -0700
From:   Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To:     Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, parav@...lanox.com,
        yuvalav@...lanox.com, jgg@...pe.ca, saeedm@...lanox.com,
        leon@...nel.org, andrew.gospodarek@...adcom.com,
        michael.chan@...adcom.com, moshe@...lanox.com, ayal@...lanox.com,
        eranbe@...lanox.com, vladbu@...lanox.com, kliteyn@...lanox.com,
        dchickles@...vell.com, sburla@...vell.com, fmanlunas@...vell.com,
        tariqt@...lanox.com, oss-drivers@...ronome.com,
        snelson@...sando.io, drivers@...sando.io, aelior@...vell.com,
        GR-everest-linux-l2@...vell.com, grygorii.strashko@...com,
        mlxsw@...lanox.com, idosch@...lanox.com, markz@...lanox.com,
        jacob.e.keller@...el.com, valex@...lanox.com,
        linyunsheng@...wei.com, lihong.yang@...el.com,
        vikas.gupta@...adcom.com, magnus.karlsson@...el.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] current devlink extension plan for NICs

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 10:35:25 +0100 Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 10:25:08PM CET, kuba@...nel.org wrote:

> >> As far as I know, it is. The host is always given a PF which is a leg of
> >> eswitch managed on the SmartNIC.
> >
> >Cool, I was hoping that's the case. One less configuration mode :)

> >> I have this described in the "PFs" section. Basically we need to have a
> >> toggle to say "host is managing it's own nested eswitch.

> >> Yeah, I was saying the same thing when our arch came up with this, but
> >> I now think it is just fine. It is drivers responsibility to do the
> >> shift. And the entities representing the uplink port: netdevs and
> >> devlink_port instances. They can easily stay during the transition. The
> >> transition only applies to the eswitch and VF entities.
> >
> >If PF is split from the uplink I think the MAC address should stay with
> >the PF, not the uplink (which becomes just a repr in a Host case).

> >> Why?
> >
> >See below.

> >> Could you please explain how it is related to "Qdisc offloads"
> >
> >Certain users have designed with constrained PCIe bandwidth in the
> >server. Meaning NIC needs to do buffering much like a switch would.
> >So we need to separate the uplink from the PF to attach the Qdisc
> >offload for configuring details of PCIe queuing.
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand. Then PF and uplink is the same entity,
> you can still attach the qdisc to this entity, right? What prevents the
> same functionality as with the "split"?

The same problem we have with the VF TX rate. We only have Qdisc APIs
for the TX direction. If we only have one port its TX is the TX onto
wire. If we split it into MAC/phys and PCIe - the TX of PCI is the RX
of the host, allowing us to control queuing on the PCIe interface.

> >> I think it is error in the reading. This is the VF representation
> >> of VF pci/0000:06:00.1, on the same host A, which is the SmartNIC host.
> >
> >Hm, I see pf 0 as the first port that has a line to uplink,
> >and here pf 0 vf 0 has a line to Host B.
>
> No. The lane is to "Host A"

Ah damn, half of the boxed below are also Host A! Got it now.

> >The VF above is "pfnum 2 vfnum 0" which makes sense, PF 2 is
> >Host B's PF. So VF 0 of PF 2 is also on Host B.

> >> I think there is usecase for SmartNIC uplink/pf port health reporters.
> >> Those are the ones which we have for TX/RX queues on devlink instance
> >> now (that was a mistake).

> >> In the host, I think there is a usecase for VF/SF devlink_port health
> >> reporters - also for TX/RX queues.

> >> Depends. There are reporters, like "fw" that are per-asic.

> >> No. "virtual" is devlink_port flavour in the host in the VF devlink
> >
> >Yeah, I'm not 100% sure what you're describing as missing.
> >
> >Perhaps you could rephrase this point?
>
> If you look at the example above. See:
> pci/0000:10:00.0
> That is a devlink instance in host B. It has a port:
> pci/0000:10:00.0/1
> with flavour "virtual"
> that tells the user that this is a virtual link, to the parent eswitch.

> >> Can you point me to the "work"?
> >
> >There was a presentation at LPC last year, and some API proposal
> >circulated off-list :( Let's CC Magnus.
>
> Ok.

> >> Yes, If we have a "queue object", the per-queue reporter would make sense.

> >> I'm not sure I follow. There is a number of PFs created "on probe".
> >> Those are fixed and driver knows where to put them.
> >> The comment was about possible "dynamic PF" created by user in the same
> >> was he creates SF, by devlink cmdline.
> >
> >How does the driver differentiate between a dynamic and static PF,
> >and why are they different in the first place? :S
>
> They are not different. The driver just has to know to instantiate the
> static ones on probe, so in SmartNIC case each host has a PF.
>

> >Also, once the PFs are created user may want to use them together
> >or delegate to a VM/namespace. So when I was thinking we'd need some
> >sort of a secure handshake between PFs and FW for the host to prove
> >to FW that the PFs belong to the same domain of control, and their
> >resources (and eswitches) can be pooled.
> >
> >I'm digressing..
>
> Yeah. This needs to be sorted out.
>

> >> Now the PF itself can have a "nested eswitch" to manage. The "parent
> >> eswitch" where the PF was created would only see one leg to the "nested
> >> eswitch".
> >>
> >> This "nested eswitch management" might or might not be required. Depends
> >> on a usecare. The question was, how to configure that I as a user
> >> want this or not.
> >
> >Ack. I'm extending your question. I think the question is not only who
> >controls the eswitch but also which PFs share the eswitch.
>
> Yes.
>

> >I think eswitch is just one capability, but SmartNIC will want to
> >control which ports see what capabilities in general. crypto offloads
> >and such.
> >
> >I presume in your model if host controls eswitch the smartNIC sees just
>
> host may control the "nested eswitch" in the SmartNIC case.

By nested eswitch you mean eswitch between ports of the same Host, or
within one PF? Then SmartNIC may switch between PFs or multiple hosts?

> >what what comes out of Hosts single "uplink"? What if SmartNIC wants
> >the host to be able to control the forwarding but not loose the ability
> >to tap the VF to VF traffic?
>
> You mean that the VF representors would be in both SmartNIC host and
> host? I don't know how that could work. I think it has to be either
> there or there.

That'd certainly be easier. Without representors we can't even check
traffic stats, though. SmartNIC may want to see the resource
utilization of ports even if it doesn't see the ports. That's just a
theoretical divagation, I don't think it's required.

> >> Slice is basically a piece of ASIC. pf/vf/sf. They serve for
> >> configuration of the "other side of the wire". Like the mac. Hypervizor
> >> admin can use the slite to set the mac address of a VF which is in the
> >> virtual machine. Basically this should be a replacement of "ip vf"
> >> command.
> >
> >I lost my mail archive but didn't we already have a long thread with
> >Parav about this?
>
> I believe so.

Oh, well. I still don't see the need for it :( If it's one to one with
ports why add another API, and have to do some cross linking to get
from one to the other?

I'd much rather resources hanging off the port.

> >> Because it is snown in representor netdevice name. And you need to have
> >> it predetermined: enp6s0pf1sf10
> >
> >I'd think you need to know what was assigned, not necessarily pick
> >upfront.. I feel like we had this conversation before as well.
>
> Yeah. For the scripting sake, always when you create something, you can
> directly use it later in the script. Like if you create a bridge, you
> assign it a name so you can use it.
>
> The "what was assigned" would mean that the assigne
> value has to be somehow returned from the kernel and passed to the
> script. Not sure how. Do you have any example where this is happening in
> networking?

Not really, but when allocating objects it seems idiomatic to get the
id / handle / address of the new entity in response. Seems to me we're
not doing it because the infrastructure for it is not in place, but
it'd be a good extension.

Times are a little crazy but I can take a poke at implementing
something along those lines once I find some time..

> I think it is very clear to pass a handle to the command so you can
> later on use this handle to manipulate the entity.
>
> + I don't see the benefit of the auto-allocation. Do you?

> >> It is not "cable unplugged". This "state inactive/action" is admin
> >> state. You as a eswitch admin say, "I'm done with configuring a slice
> >> (MAC) and a representor (bridge, TC, etc) for this particular SF and
> >> I want the HOST to instantiate the SF instance (with the configured
> >> MAC).
> >
> >I'm not opposed, I just don't understand the need. If ASIC will not
> >RX or TX any traffic from/to this new entity until repr is brought up
> >there should be no problem.
>
> The only need I see is that the eswitch manager can configure things for
> the slice and representor until the "activation kick" makes the device
> appear on the host. What you suggest is to do the "activation kick" by
> representor netdevice admin_up. There is a connection from slice to
> netdevice, but it is indirect:
> devlink_slice->devlink_port->netdev.
> Also, some slices may not have netdev (IB/NVE/etc).

Not sure what activation on IB and NVM looks like, but isn't just not
serving requests until ready not an option there?

> >> We discussed that many times internally. I think it makes sense that
> >> the SF is created by the same entity that manages the related eswitch
> >> SF-representor. In other words, the "devlink slice" and related "devlink
> >> port" object are under the same devlink instance.
> >>
> >> If the PF in host manages nested switch, it can create the SF inside and
> >> manages the neste eswitch SF-representor as you describe.
> >>
> >> It is a matter of "nested eswitch manager on/off" configuration.
> >>
> >> I think this is clean model and it is known who has what
> >> responsibilities.
> >
> >I see so you want the creation to be controlled by the same entity that
> >controls the eswitch..
> >
> >To me the creation should be on the side that actually needs/will use
> >the new port. And if it's not eswitch manager then eswitch manager
> >needs to ack it.
>
> Hmm. The question is, is it worth to complicate things in this way?
> I don't know. I see a lot of potential misunderstandings :/

I'd see requesting SFs over devlink/sysfs as simplification, if
anything.

> >The precedence is probably not a strong argument, but that'd be the
> >same way VFs work.. I don't think you can change how VFs work, right?
>
> You can't, but since the VF model is not optimal as it turned out, do we
> want to stick with it for the SFs too?

The VF model is not optimal in what sense? I thought the main reason
for SFs is that they are significantly more light weight on Si side.

> And perhaps the "furute VF
> implementation" can be done in a way this fits - that is described in
> the "VF manual creation and activation user cmdline API draft" section
> below.
>
> You see that there are "dummies" created by default. I think that Jason
> argued that these dummies should be created for max_vfs. That way the
> eswitch manager can configure all possible VF representors, no matter
> when the host decides to spawn them.

> >> No limitation. It's just a name for 2 roles. I didn't know how else to
> >> name it for the documentation purposes. Perhaps you can help me.
> >>
> >> The child can simply manage a "nested eswich". The "parent eswitch"
> >> would see one leg (pf representor) one way or another. Only in case the
> >> "nested eswitch" is there, the child would manage it - have separate
> >> representors for vfs/sfs under its devlink instance.
> >
> >I see! I wouldn't use the term PF. I think we need a notion of
> >a "virtual" port within the NIC to model the eswitch being managed
> >by the Host.
>
> But it is a PF (or maybe VF). The fact that it may or may not have
> nested switch inside does not change the view of the parent eswitch
> manager instance. Why would it?

See the first comment on mixing PCIe ports with uplink :)

> >If Host manages the Eswitch - SmartNIC will no longer deal with its
> >PCIe ports, but only with its virtual uplink.
>
> What do you mean by "PCIe ports"?

PF/VF/SFs, basically PCIe side ingress/egress/queuing.