Date:   Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:27:20 +0100
From:   Václav Zindulka <vaclav.zindulka@...pnet.cz>
To:     Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
Cc:     Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: iproute2: tc deletion freezes whole server

Hello,

Thank you for the reply!

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:18 PM Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com> wrote:

> > perf trace tc qdisc del dev enp1s0f0 root
>
> Can you capture a `perf record` for kernel functions too? We
> need to know where kernel spent time on during this 11s delay.

See perd.data.{ifb0, enp1s0f0} here
https://github.com/zvalcav/tc-kernel/tree/master/20200324. I hope it
is the output you wanted. If you need anything else, let me know.

> > When I call this command on ifb interface or RJ45 interface everything
> > is done within one second.
>

> Do they have the same tc configuration and same workload?

Yes, both reproducers are exactly the same, interfaces are configured
in a similar way. I have the most of the offloading turned off for
physical interfaces. Yet metallic interfaces don't cause that big
delay and SFP+ dual port cards do, yet not all of them. Only
difference in reproducers is the interface name. See git repository
above, tc-interface_name-upload/download.txt files. I have altered my
whole setup in daemon I'm working on to change interfaces used. The
only difference is the existence of ingress tc filter rules to
redirect traffic to ifb interfaces in production setup. I don't use tc
filter classification in current setup. I use nftables' ability to
classify traffic. There is no traffic on interfaces except ssh
session. It behaves similar way with and without traffic.

> > My testing setup consists of approx. 18k tc class rules and approx.
> > 13k tc qdisc rules and was altered only with different interface name....
>
> Please share you tc configurations (tc -s -d qd show dev ..., tc
> -s -d filter show dev...).

I've placed whole reproducers into repository. Do you need exports of rules too?

> Also, it would be great if you can provide a minimal reproducer.

I'm afraid that minor reproducer won't cause the problem. This was
happening mostly on servers with large tc rule setups. I was trying to
create small reproducer for nftables developer many times without
success. I can try to create reproducer as small as possible, but it
may still consist of thousands of rules.