Date:   Wed, 25 Mar 2020 21:53:27 -0600
From:   Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx@...fish-solutions.com>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Fwd: tc question about ingress bandwidth splitting

Had originally posted this to LARTC but realized that “netdev” is probably the better forum.

Was hoping someone familiar with the nuts and bolts of tc and scheduler minutiae could help me come up with a configuration to use as a starting point, then I could tweak it, gather some numbers, make graphs etc, and write a LARTC or LWN article around the findings.

I’d be trying to do shaping in both directions.  Sure, egress shaping is trivial and obviously works.

But I was also thinking about ingress shaping on the last hop, i.e. as traffic flows into the last-hop CPE router, and limiting/delaying it so that the entire end-to-end path is appropriately perceived by the sender, since the effective bandwidth of a [non-multipath] route is the min bandwidth of all individual hops, right?

So that min could be experienced at the final hop before the receiver as delay injected between packets to shape the bitrate.

How far off-base am I?

And what would some tc scripting look like to measure my thesis?