Date:   Wed, 8 Apr 2020 13:52:33 -0700
From:   Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...il.com>,
        Ido Schimmel <idosch@...sch.org>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: Changing devlink port flavor dynamically for DSA

On 4/8/2020 1:10 PM, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 at 23:05, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 4/8/2020 12:51 PM, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
>>> Hi Florian,

>>> What is missing from your argumentation is what would the new devlink
>>> mechanism of changing the CPU port bring for your particular use case.
>>> I mean you can already remove the "ethernet" device tree property from
>>> port 5 and end up exactly with the configuration that you want, no?
>>
>> That's what I do in our downstream tree for now, should I submit this
>> upstream? I doubt it would be accepted.
>> --
>> Florian
>
> This is exactly what we do for the NXP LS1028A (ocelot/felix driver),
> where we enable just one of the 2 CPU ports by default (and the other
> one, just as a simple user port in the very few situations that
> require it):
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/fsl-ls1028a.dtsi#L943
> Although to be fair, for LS1028A we can't even dream of enabling DSA
> tagging on both CPU ports at the same time, since there is a hardware
> limitation in place that only a single port may carry DSA tags at any
> given moment in time.

The firmware is provided by the boot loader in my case, and while it can
be changed, dealing with incompatibilities is a support burden, so
instead, I have two lines of code in the sf2 driver to delete the DT
property and that gets me going.

I still think there is value in being able to assign groups of user
ports to a specific CPU/management port (maybe even DSA, say if we
supported trunking/bonding at some point).
--
Florian