Date:   Thu, 9 Apr 2020 12:29:35 +0200
From:   Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org>
To:     Andrzej Pietrasiewicz <andrzej.p@...labora.com>,
Cc:     Zhang Rui <rui.zhang@...el.com>,
        Allison Randal <allison@...utok.net>,
        Enrico Weigelt <info@...ux.net>,
        Gayatri Kammela <gayatri.kammela@...el.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        platform-driver-x86@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, kernel@...labora.com
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/8] Stop monitoring disabled devices

On 07/04/2020 19:49, Andrzej Pietrasiewicz wrote:
> The current kernel behavior is to keep polling the thermal zone devices
> regardless of their current mode. This is not desired, as all such "disabled"
> devices are meant to be handled by userspace,> so polling them makes no sense.

Thanks for proposing these changes.

I've been (quickly) through the series and the description below. I have
the feeling the series makes more complex while the current code which
would deserve a cleanup.

Why not first:

 - Add a 'mode' field in the thermal zone device
 - Kill all set/get_mode callbacks in the drivers which are duplicated code.
 - Add a function:

 enum thermal_device_mode thermal_zone_get_mode( *tz)
 {
	if (tz->ops->get_mode)
		return tz->ops->get_mode();

	return tz->mode;
 }

 int thermal_zone_set_mode(..*tz, enum thermal_device_mode mode)
 {
	if (tz->ops->set_mode)
		return tz->ops->set_mode(tz, mode);

	tz->mode = mode;

	return 0;
 }

 static inline thermal_zone_enable(... *tz)
 {
	thermal_zone_set_mode(tz, THERMAL_DEVICE_ENABLED);
 }

 static inline thermal_zone_disable(... *tz) {
	thermal_zone_set_mode(tz, THERMAL_DEVICE_DISABLED);
 }

And then when the code is consolidated, use the mode to enable/disable
the polling and continue killing the duplicated code in of-thermal.c and
anywhere else.

<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |