Date:   Mon, 20 Apr 2020 18:30:37 -0400
From:   Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>
To:     David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>, Paulo Alcantara <pc@....nz>
Cc:     viro@...iv.linux.org.uk, Steve French <smfrench@...il.com>,
        linux-nfs <linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org>,
        CIFS <linux-cifs@...r.kernel.org>, linux-afs@...ts.infradead.org,
        ceph-devel@...r.kernel.org, keyrings@...r.kernel.org,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, fweimer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: cifs - Race between IP address change and sget()?

On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 23:14 +0100, David Howells wrote:

> > > Would that be a bug?
> >
> > Probably.
> >
> > I'm not sure how that code is supposed to work, TBH.
>
> Hmmm...  I think there may be a race here then - but I'm not sure it can be
> avoided or if it matters.
>
> Since the address is part of the primary key to sget() for cifs, changing the
> IP address will change the primary key.  Jeff tells me that this is governed
> by a spinlock taken by cifs_match_super().  However, sget() may be busy
> attaching a new mount to the old superblock under the sb_lock core vfs lock,
> having already found a match.

Not exactly. Both places that match TCP_Server_Info objects by address
hold the cifs_tcp_ses_lock. The address looks like it gets changed in
reconn_set_ipaddr, and the lock is not currently taken there, AFAICT. I
think it probably should be (at least around the cifs_convert_address
call).

> Should the change of parameters made by cifs be effected with sb_lock held to
> try and avoid ending up using the wrong superblock?
>
> However, because the TCP_Server_Info is apparently updated, it looks like my
> original concern is not actually a problem (the idea that if a mounted server
> changes its IP address and then a new server comes online at the old IP
> address, it might end up sharing superblocks because the IP address is part of
> the key).

I'm not sure we should concern ourselves with much more than just not
allowing addresses to change while matching/searching. If you're
standing up new servers at old addresses while you still have clients
are migrating, then you are probably Doing it Wrong.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>