Date:   Thu, 23 Apr 2020 03:27:02 +0000
From:   Po Liu <po.liu@....com>
To:     "Allan W. Nielsen" <allan.nielsen@...rochip.com>
Subject: RE: [EXT] Re: [v3,net-next  1/4] net: qos: introduce a gate control

The gate action is the must have feature, so here is the part of it. And provide the stream filter implementation part in the driver.
I provided a whole thoughts, with flow-meter apply to policing action and other throughs in the RFC version. You can look back to that version for reference.

> A common use-case for the policing is to have multiple rules pointing at
> the same policing instance. Maybe you want the sum of the traffic on 2
> ports to be limited to 100mbit. If you specify such action on the individual
> rule (like done with the gate), then you can not have two rules pointing at
> the same policer instance.
>
> Long storry short, have you considered if it would be better to do
> something like:
>
>    tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip \
>             flower src_ip 192.168.0.20 \
>             action psfp-id 42
>
> And then have some other function to configure the properties of psfp-id
> 42?

I think the psfp-id you mention is for the gate and stream filter and flow meter and stream-identify. For each they should have an index.
The stream-identify index come from the chain value. Gate index comes from the index in the gate action, two ports or more can share one same index gate index. Will same for the flow-meter action.

> /Allan

Thanks!

Br,
Po Liu