Date:   Fri, 22 May 2020 13:48:00 -0500
From:   Pierre-Louis Bossart <pierre-louis.bossart@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>
Cc:     Ranjani Sridharan <ranjani.sridharan@...ux.intel.com>,
        Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
        davem@...emloft.net, gregkh@...uxfoundation.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org,
        nhorman@...hat.com, sassmann@...hat.com,
        Fred Oh <fred.oh@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next v4 10/12] ASoC: SOF: Introduce descriptors for SOF
 client

On 5/22/20 1:40 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 01:35:54PM -0500, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

>>> Yes, but that doesn't really apply here...

>>> That is the same issue as the completion, a driver should not be
>>> making assumptions about ordering like this. For instance what if the
>>> current driver is in the initrd and the 2nd driver is in a module in
>>> the filesystem? It will not probe until the system boots more
>>> completely.
>>>
>>> This is all stuff that is supposed to work properly.

>>> Creating a partial non-function card until all the parts are loaded
>>> seems like the right way to surface an error like this.
>>>
>>> Or don't break the driver up in this manner if all the parts are really
>>> required just for it to function - quite strange place to get into.
>>
>> This is not about having all the parts available - that's handled already
>> with deferred probe - but an error happening during card registration. In
>> that case the ALSA/ASoC core throws an error and we cannot report it back to
>> the parent.
>
> The whole point of the virtual bus stuff was to split up a
> multi-functional PCI device into parts. If all the parts are required
> to be working to make the device work, why are you using virtual bus
> here?

It's the other way around: how does the core know that one part isn't
functional.

There is nothing in what we said that requires that all parts are fully
functional. All we stated is that when *one* part isn't fully functional
we know about it.

>>> What happens if the user unplugs this sub driver once things start
>>> running?
>>
>> refcounting in the ALSA core prevents that from happening usually.
>
> So user triggered unplug of driver that attaches here just hangs
> forever? That isn't OK either.

No, you'd get a 'module in use' error if I am not mistaken.