Date:   Mon, 29 Jun 2020 12:32:44 +0300
From:   Aya Levin <ayal@...lanox.com>
To:     Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
Cc:     Saeed Mahameed <saeedm@...lanox.com>,
        "mkubecek@...e.cz" <mkubecek@...e.cz>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Tariq Toukan <tariqt@...lanox.com>, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org,
        Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next 10/10] net/mlx5e: Add support for PCI relaxed ordering

On 6/26/2020 11:12 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

>>> Adding Bjorn Helgaas
>>
>> I see. Simply using pcie_relaxed_ordering_enabled() and blacklisting
>> bad CPUs seems far nicer from operational perspective. Perhaps Bjorn
>> will chime in. Pushing the validation out to the user is not a great
>> solution IMHO.
>
> I'm totally lost, but maybe it doesn't matter because it looks like
> David has pulled this series already.
>
> There probably *should* be a PCI core interface to enable RO, but
> there isn't one today.
>
> pcie_relaxed_ordering_enabled() doesn't *enable* anything.  All it
> does is tell you whether RO is already enabled.
>
> This patch ([net-next 10/10] net/mlx5e: Add support for PCI relaxed
> ordering) apparently adds a knob to control RO, but I can't connect
> the dots.  It doesn't touch PCI_EXP_DEVCTL_RELAX_EN, and that symbol
> doesn't occur anywhere in drivers/net except tg3, myri10ge, and niu.
>
> And this whole series doesn't contain PCI_EXP_DEVCTL_RELAX_EN or
> pcie_relaxed_ordering_enabled().

I wanted to turn on RO on the ETH driver based on
pcie_relaxed_ordering_enabled().
 From my experiments I see that pcie_relaxed_ordering_enabled() return
true on Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz. This CPU is from
Haswell series which is known to have bug in RO implementation. In this
case, I expected pcie_relaxed_ordering_enabled() to return false,
shouldn't it?

In addition, we are worried about future bugs in new CPUs which may
result in performance degradation while using RO, as long as the
function pcie_relaxed_ordering_enabled() will return true for these
CPUs. That's why we thought of adding the feature on our card with
default off and enable the user to set it.