Date:   Fri, 24 Jul 2020 15:45:20 +0300
From:   George Shuklin <amarao@...vers.com>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Bug in iproute2 man page (or in iproute itself)

Hello.

I'm writing Ansible module for iproute, and I found some discrepancies
between man page and actual behavior for ip link add type bridge.

man page said:

hello_time HELLO_TIME - set the time in seconds between hello packets
sent by the bridge, when it is a root bridge or a designated bridges.
Only relevant if STP
is enabled. Valid values are between 1 and 10.

max_age MAX_AGE - set the hello packet timeout, ie the time in seconds
until another bridge in the spanning tree is assumed to be dead, after
reception of its
last hello message. Only relevant if STP is enabled. Valid values are
between 6 and 40.

In reality 'ip link add type bridge' requires hello_time to be at least
100, and max_age to be at least 600. I suspect there is a missing x100
multiplier, either in docs, or in the code.

(I'm not sure where I should send bugreports for iproute2).