Date:   Wed, 05 Aug 2020 20:12:08 +0000
From:   Swarm NameRedacted <thesw4rm@...me>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Packet not rerouting via different bridge interface after modifying destination IP in TC ingress hook

All fair points, I'll address them one by one.
1) The subnet size on everything is /16; everything is on the same
subnet (hence the bridge) except for the client which sends the initial
SYN packet. Modifying the destination MAC address was definitely
something I overlooked and that did get the packet running through the
correct interface. I got a bit thrown off that the bridge has it's own
MAC address that is identical to the LAN interface and couldn't
visualize it as an L2 switch. However, the packet is still being
dropped; I suspect it might be a checksum error but the only incorrect
checksum is TCP. Might have accidentally disabled checksum offloading. I'm not
sure

2) The destination IP address is being modified to 10.10.4.1 at L3. However, I
forgot to change the destination MAC to eth0 at L2 level as well, as you just
mentioned.

3) The eventual goal is to build my own modified version of the SYNPROXY
protocol that includes some security enhancements in the packet itself.
Therefore, my current plan is to skip conntrack on the gateway
(10.10.3.1) for the packet initially destined to the server (10.10.3.2)
and forward the packet to a separate server (10.10.4.1) (virtually configuring it
so it is behind another transparent gateway (ip not relevant because the packet
should just pass right through) accessible via the current gateway). To make
things simple, I used a bridge on both gateways and am trying to route through
different interfaces on that bridge.

Hope that makes sense. Please let me know if there's something I didn't clarify
fully that can be explained further!