Date:   Sat, 15 Aug 2020 09:57:27 -0700
From:   Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, "David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, edumazet@...gle.com
Cc:     Doug Berger <opendmb@...il.com>,
        Justin Chen <justin.chen@...adcom.com>
Subject: Alternate location for skb_shared_info other than the tail?

Hi all,

We have an Ethernet controller that is capable of putting several
Ethernet frames within a single 4KB buffer provided by Linux. The
rationale for this design is to maximize the DRAM efficiency, especially
for LPDDR4/5 architectures where the cost to keep a page open is higher
than say DDR3/4.

We have a programmable alignment which allows us to make sure that we
can align the start of the Ethernet frames on a cache line boundary (and
also add the 2 byte stuffing to further align the IP header). What we do
not have however is a programmable tail room to space out the Ethernet
frames between one another. Worst case, if the end aligns on a 64b
boundary, the next frame would start on the adjacent byte, leaving no
space in between.

We were initially thinking about using build_skb() (and variants) and
point the data argument to the location within that 4KB buffer, however
this causes a problem that we have the skb_shared_info structure at the
end of the Ethernet frame, and that area can be overwritten by the
hardware. Right now we allocate a new sk_buff and copy from the offset
within the 4KB buffer. The CPU is fast enough and this warms up the data
cache that this is not a performance problem, but we would prefer to do
without the copy to limit the amount of allocations in NAPI context.

What is further complicating is that by the time we process one Ethernet
frame within the 4KB data buffer, we do not necessarily know whether
another one will come, and what space we would have between the two. If
we do know, though, we could see if we have enough room for the
skb_shared_info and at least avoid copying that sk_buff, but this would
not be such a big win.

We are unfortunately a bit late to fix that hardware design limitation,
and we did not catch the requirement for putting skb_shared_info at the
end until too late :/

In premise skb_shared_info could reside somewhere other than at the
tail, and the entire network stack uses the skb_shinfo() to access the
area (there are no concerns about "wild" accesses to skb_shared_info),
so if we could find a way to encode within the sk_buff that an alternate
location is to be used, we could get our cookie. There are some parts of
the stack that do however assume that we need to allocate the header
part plus the sbk_shared_info structure, those assumptions may be harder
to break.

Do you have any suggestions on how we could specify an alternate
location for skb_shared_info or any other suggestions on how to avoid
copies?

Thanks!
--
Florian