Date:   Mon, 17 Aug 2020 11:22:23 -0300
From:   Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <marcelo.leitner@...il.com>
To:     David Laight <David.Laight@...lab.com>
Cc:     "'linux-sctp@...r.kernel.org'" <linux-sctp@...r.kernel.org>,
        'Neil Horman' <nhorman@...driver.com>,
        "'kent.overstreet@...il.com'" <kent.overstreet@...il.com>,
        'Andrew Morton' <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
        "'netdev@...r.kernel.org'" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: sctp: num_ostreams and max_instreams negotiation

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 02:49:31PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> [...]

2075e50caf5e has:

-       if (outcnt > stream->outcnt)
-               fa_zero(out, stream->outcnt, (outcnt - stream->outcnt));
+       if (outcnt <= stream->outcnt)
+               return 0;

-       stream->out = out;
+       ret = genradix_prealloc(&stream->out, outcnt, gfp);
+       if (ret)
+               return ret;

+       stream->outcnt = outcnt;
        return 0;

The flip on the if() return missed that stream->outcnt needs to be
updated later on even if it is reducing the size.

The proper fix here is to move back to the original if() condition,
and put genradix_prealloc() inside it again, as was fa_zero() before.
The if() is not strictly needed, because genradix_prealloc() will
handle it nicely, but it's a nice-to-have optimization anyway.

Do you want to send a patch?

> > This does mean that it has only been broken since the 5.1
> > merge window.
>
> And is a good candidate for the back-ports.

Yep.

> > 	ret = genradix_prealloc(&stream->out, outcnt, gfp);
> > 	if (ret)
> > 		return ret;
> >
> > 	stream->outcnt = outcnt;
> > 	return 0;
> > }
> >
> > sctp_stream_alloc_in() is the same.
> >
> > This is called to reduce the number of streams.
> > But in that case it does nothing at all.
> >
> > Which means that the 'convert to genradix' change broke it.
> > Tag 2075e50caf5ea.
> >
> > I don't know what 'genradix' arrays or the earlier 'flex_array'
> > actually look like.
> > But if 'genradix' is some kind of radix-tree it is probably the
> > wrong beast for SCTP streams.
> > Lots of code loops through all of them.
>
> Yep, I'm pretty sure a kvmalloc() would be best.

kvmalloc() doesn't help here because these functions can be called
form bh. Note how sctp_process_strreset_addstrm_in(), for example,
needs to use GFP_ATOMIC in there, in which kvmalloc() can't fallback
to vmalloc.

> > While just assigning to stream->outcnt when the value
> > is reduced will fix the negotiation, I've no idea
> > what side-effects that has.
>
> I've done some checks.
> The arrays are allocated when an INIT is sent and also before
> a received INIT is processed.
> So if one side (eg the responder) allocates a very big value
> then the associated memory is never freed when the value
> is negotiated down.
> There is a comment to the effect that this is desirable.
>
> If my quick calculations are correct then each 'in' is 20 bytes
> and each 'out' 24 (with a lot of pad bytes).
> So the max sizes are 322 and 386 4k pages.
>
> I haven't looked at how many of the 'out' streams gets the
> extra, separately allocated, structure.
> I suspect the memory footprint for a single SCTP connection
> is potentially huge.

This shouldn't be an issue. The default amount of out streams is low
(10, SCTP_DEFAULT_OUTSTREAMS) and the 'in' ones are only allocated
when we have such info already. That's why sctp_connect_new_asoc() and
sctp_association_init() will pass incnt=0 for sctp_stream_init().

  Marcelo