Date:   Tue, 25 Aug 2020 18:45:29 -0600
From:   David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
To:     Ahmed Abdelsalam <ahabdels@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@....inr.ac.ru>,
        Hideaki YOSHIFUJI <yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     andrea.mayer@...roma2.it
Subject: Re: [net-next v5 1/2] seg6: inherit DSCP of inner IPv4 packets

On 8/25/20 5:45 PM, Ahmed Abdelsalam wrote:

> Hi David
>
> The seg6 encap is implemented through the seg6_lwt rather than
> seg6_local_lwt.

ok. I don't know the seg6 code; just taking a guess from a quick look.

> We can add a flag(SEG6_IPTUNNEL_DSCP) in seg6_iptunnel.h if we do not
> want to go the sysctl direction.

sysctl is just a big hammer with side effects.

It struck me that the DSCP propagation is very similar to the TTL
propagation with MPLS which is per route entry (MPLS_IPTUNNEL_TTL and
stored as ttl_propagate in mpls_iptunnel_encap). Hence the question of
whether SR could make this a per route attribute. Consistency across
implementations is best.

> Perhaps this would require various changes to seg6 infrastructure
> including seg6_iptunnel_policy, seg6_build_state, fill_encap,
> get_encap_size, etc.
>
> We have proposed a patch before to support optional parameters for SRv6
> behaviors [1].
> Unfortunately, this patch was rejected.

not sure I follow why the patch was rejected. Does it change behavior of
existing code?

I would expect that new attributes can be added without affecting
handling of current ones. Looking at seg6_iptunnel.c the new attribute
would be ignored on older kernels but should be fine on new ones and
forward.

###

Since seg6 does not have strict attribute checking the only way to find
out if it is supported is to send down the config and then read it back.
If the attribute is missing, the kernel does not support. Ugly, but one
way to determine support. The next time an attribute is added to seg6
code, strict checking should be enabled so that going forward as new
attributes are added older kernels with strict checking would reject it.