Date:   Thu, 3 Sep 2020 10:17:27 -0700
From:   Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:     Adam Rudziński <adam.rudzinski@....net.pl>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org, m.felsch@...gutronix.de,
        hkallweit1@...il.com, richard.leitner@...data.com,
        zhengdejin5@...il.com, devicetree@...r.kernel.org,
        kernel@...gutronix.de, kuba@...nel.org, robh+dt@...nel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 2/2] net: phy: bcm7xxx: request and manage GPHY
 clock

On 9/3/2020 10:13 AM, Adam Rudziński wrote:

> W dniu 2020-09-03 o 17:21, Florian Fainelli pisze:

>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I've just realized that a PHY may also have a reset signal connected.
>>> The reset signal may be controlled by the dedicated peripheral or by
>>> GPIO.
>>
>> There is already support for such a thing within
>> drivers/net/phy/mdio_bus.c though it assumes we could bind the PHY
>> device to its driver already.
>>

>>> In general terms, there might be a set of control signals needed to
>>> enable the PHY. It seems that the clock and the reset would be the
>>> typical useful options.
>>>
>>> Going further with my imagination of how evil the hardware design
>>> could be, in general the signals for the PHY may have some relations
>>> to other control signals.
>>>
>>> I think that from the software point of view this comes down to
>>> assumption that the PHY is to be controlled "driver only knows how".
>>
>> That is all well and good as long as we can actually bind the PHY
>> device which its driver, and right now this means that we either have:
>>
>> - a compatible string in Device Tree which is of the form
>> ethernet-phy-id%4x.%4x (see of_get_phy_id) which means that we *know*
>> already which PHY we have and we avoid doing reads of MII_PHYSID1 and
>> MII_PHYSID2. This is a Linux implementation detail that should not
>> have to be known to systems designer IMHO
>>
>> - a successful read of MII_PHYSID1 and MII_PHYSID2 (or an equivalent
>> for the clause 45 PHYs) that allows us to know what PHY device we
>> have, which is something that needs to happen eventually.
>>
>> The problem is when there are essential resources such as clocks,
>> regulators, reset signals that must be enabled, respectively
>> de-asserted in order for a successful MDIO read of MII_PHYSID1 and
>> MII_PHYSID2 to succeed.
>>
>> There is no driver involvement at that stage because we have no
>> phy_device to bind it to *yet*. Depending on what we read from
>> MII_PHYSID1/PHY_ID2 we will either successfully bind to the Generic
>> PHY driver (assuming we did not read all Fs) or not and we will return
>> -ENODEV and then it is game over.
>>
>> This is the chicken and egg problem that this patch series is
>> addressing, for clocks, because we can retrieve clock devices with
>> just a device_node reference.
>
> I have an impression that here the effort goes in the wrong direction.
> If I understand correctly, the goal is to have the kernel find out what
> will the driver need to use the phy. But, the kernel anyway calls a
> probe function of the driver, doesn't it? To me it looks as if you were
> trying to do something that the driver will/would/might do later, and
> possibly "undo" it in the meantime. In this regard, this becomes kind of
> a workaround, not solution of the problem. Also, having taken a glance
> at your previous messages, I can tell that this is all becoming even
> more complex.

What is the problem according to you, and what would an acceptable
solution look like then?

> I think that the effort should be to allow any node in the device tree
> to take care about its child nodes by itself, and just "report" to the
> kernel, or "install" in the kernel whatever is necessary, but without
> any initiative of the kernel. Let the drivers be as complicated as
> necessary, not the kernel.

The Device Tree representation is already correct in that it lists
clocks/regulators/reset signals that are needed by the PHY. The problem
is its implementation with the Linux device driver model. Please read
again what I wrote.
--
Florian