Date:   Thu, 10 Sep 2020 21:06:05 +0000
From:   "Brady, Alan" <alan.brady@...el.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
Subject: RE: [net-next v5 01/15] virtchnl: Extend AVF ops

I managed to get a 32-bit build environment setup and found that we do indeed have alignment issues there on 32 bit systems for some of the new ops we added with the series.  However, I think I'm still missing something as it looks like you have errors triggering on much more than I found and I'm suspecting there might be a compile option I'm missing or perhaps my GCC version is older than yours.  E.g., I found issues in virtchnl_txq_info_v2, virtchnl_rxq_info_v2, virtchnl_config_rx_queues, and virtchnl_rss_hash.  It appears you have compile issues in virtchnl_get_capabilities (among others) however which did not trigger on mine.  Manual inspection indicates that it _should_ be triggering a failure and that your setup is more correct than mine.  I'm guessing some extra padding is getting included in some places and causing a false positive on the other alignment issues.  Are there any hints you can provide me that might help me more accurately reproduce this?

-Alan