Date:   Mon, 21 Sep 2020 18:26:38 +0200
From:   Jesper Dangaard Brouer <brouer@...hat.com>
To:     Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>
Cc:     Lorenz Bauer <lmb@...udflare.com>,
        Maciej Żenczykowski
        <maze@...gle.com>, Saeed Mahameed <saeed@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <borkmann@...earbox.net>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        BPF-dev-list <bpf@...r.kernel.org>,
        Lorenzo Bianconi <lorenzo.bianconi@...hat.com>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Shaun Crampton <shaun@...era.io>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Marek Majkowski <marek@...udflare.com>, brouer@...hat.com
Subject: Re: BPF redirect API design issue for BPF-prog MTU feedback?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 17:08:17 +0200
Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net> wrote:

> On 9/21/20 2:49 PM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 11:37:18 +0100
> > Lorenz Bauer <lmb@...udflare.com> wrote:

> >> We do the same, except that we also use XDP_TX when appropriate. This
> >> complicates the matter, because there is no helper call we could
> >> return an error from.
> >
> > Do notice that my MTU work is focused on TC-BPF.  For XDP-redirect the
> > MTU check is done in xdp_ok_fwd_dev() via __xdp_enqueue(), which also
> > happens too late to give BPF-prog knowledge/feedback.  For XDP_TX I
> > audited the drivers when I implemented xdp_buff.frame_sz, and they
> > handled (or I added) handling against max HW MTU. E.g. mlx5 [1].
> >
> > [1] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.9-rc6/source/drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en/xdp.c#L267
> >
> >> My preference would be to have three helpers: get MTU for a device,
> >> redirect ctx to a device (with MTU check), resize ctx (without MTU
> >> check) but that doesn't work with XDP_TX. Your idea of doing checks
> >> in redirect and adjust_room is pragmatic and seems easier to
> >> implement.
> >
> > I do like this plan/proposal (with 3 helpers), but it is not possible
> > with current API.  The main problem is the current bpf_redirect API
> > doesn't provide the ctx, so we cannot do the check in the BPF-helper.
> >
> > Are you saying we should create a new bpf_redirect API (that incl packet ctx)?
>
> Sorry for jumping in late here... one thing that is not clear to me
> is that if we are fully sure that skb is dropped by stack anyway due
> to invalid MTU (redirect to ingress does this via dev_forward_skb(),

Yes, TC-redirecting to *INGRESS* have a slightly relaxed MTU check via
is_skb_forwardable() called via ____dev_forward_skb().  This MTU check
seems redundant as netstack will do MTU checks anyhow.

> it's not fully clear to me whether it's also the case for the
> dev_queue_xmit()),

This seems the problematic case; TC-ingress redirect to netdev-egress,
that basically calls dev_queue_xmit().  I tried to follow the code all
the way into ixgbe driver, and I didn't see any MTU checks.

We might have to add a MTU check here, as it could be considered a
bug/problematic that we allow this. (e.g. netdev with large MTU can
redirect frames larger than MTU of egress netdev).

> then why not dropping all the MTU checks aside
> from SKB_MAX_ALLOC sanity check for BPF helpers

I agree, and think that the MTU checks in the BPF-helpers, make little
sense, as we have found ways to circumvent these checks (as discussed
in thread).

> and have something like a device object (similar to e.g. TCP sockets)
> exposed to BPF prog where we can retrieve the object and read
> dev->mtu from the prog, so the BPF program could then do the
> "exception" handling internally w/o extra prog needed (we also
> already expose whether skb is GSO or not).

I do think we need some BPF-helper that allows BPF-prog to lookup MTU
of a netdev, so it can do proper ICMP exception handling.

I looked at doing ICMP exception handling on kernel-side, but realized
that this is not possible at the TC-redirect layer, as we have not
decoded the L3 protocol at this point (e.g. cannot know if I need to
call icmp_send or icmp6_send).

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer