Date:   Thu, 24 Sep 2020 08:41:54 -0600
From:   David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>
To:     Stephen Suryaputra <ssuryaextr@...il.com>
Cc:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ip rule iif oif and vrf

On 9/24/20 7:48 AM, Stephen Suryaputra wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 07:47:16PM -0600, David Ahern wrote:
>> If I remove the fib rules and add VRF route leaking from core to tenant
>> it works. Why is that not an option? Overlapping tenant addresses?
>
> Exactly.
>
>> One thought to get around it is adding support for a new FIB rule type
>> -- say l3mdev_port. That rule can look at the real ingress device which
>> is saved in the skb->cb as IPCB(skb)->iif.
>
> OK. Just to ensure that the existing ip rule behavior isn't considered a
> bug.
>
> We have multiple options on the table right now. One that can be done
> without writing any code is to use an nft prerouting rule to mark
> the packet with iif equals the tunnel and use ip rule fwmark to lookup
> the right table.
>
> ip netns exec r0 nft add table ip c2t
> ip netns exec r0 nft add chain ip c2t prerouting '{ type filter hook prerouting priority 0; policy accept; }'
> ip netns exec r0 nft rule ip c2t prerouting iif gre01 mark set 101 counter
> ip netns exec r0 ip rule add fwmark 101 table 10 pref 999
>
> ip netns exec r1 nft add table ip c2t
> ip netns exec r1 nft add chain ip c2t prerouting '{ type filter hook prerouting priority 0; policy accept; }'
> ip netns exec r1 nft rule ip c2t prerouting iif gre10 mark set 101 counter
> ip netns exec r1 ip rule add fwmark 101 table 10 pref 999
>
> But this doesn't seem to work on my Ubuntu VM with the namespaces
> script, i.e. pinging from h0 to h1. The packet doesn't egress r1_v11. It
> does work on our target, based on 4.14 kernel.

add debugs to net/core/fib_rules.c, fib_rule_match() to see if
flowi_mark is getting set properly. There could easily be places that
are missed. Or if it works on one setup, but not another compare sysctl
settings for net.core and net.ipv4

> We also notice though in on the target platform that the ip rule fwmark
> doesn't seem to change the skb->dev to the vrf of the lookup table.

not following that statement. fwmark should be marking the skb, not
changing the skb->dev.