Date:   Tue, 29 Sep 2020 22:35:23 +0200
From:   Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>
To:     Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>,
        Petr Tesarik <ptesarik@...e.cz>
Cc:     Realtek linux nic maintainers <nic_swsd@...ltek.com>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-clk@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RTL8402 stops working after hibernate/resume

On 29.09.2020 22:08, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/29/20 9:07 PM, Petr Tesarik wrote:
>> Hi Heiner (and now also Hans)!
>>
>> @Hans: I'm adding you to this conversation, because you're the author
>> of commit b1e3454d39f99, which seems to break the r8169 driver on a
>> laptop of mine.
>
> Erm, no, as you bi-sected yourself already commit 9f0b54cd167219
> ("r8169: move switching optional clock on/off to pll power functions")
>
> Broke your laptop, commit b1e3454d39f99 ("clk: x86: add "ether_clk" alias
> for Bay Trail / Cherry Trail") is about 18 months older.
>
>> On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 16:47:54 +0200
>> Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com> wrote:

>>> This sounds weird. On your system tp->clk should be NULL,
>
> Heiner, why do you say that tp->clk should be NULL on Petr's
> system? Because it is an x86 based system?

This was a misunderstanding on my side, I was under the assumption
that ether_clk applies to DT-configured systems only.

> [...]
>> at the platform initialization code, the "ether_clk" alias is created
>> unconditionally. Hans already added.
>
> Petr, unconditionally is not really correct here, just as claiming
> above that my commit broke things was not really correct either.
>
> I guess this is mostly semantics, but I don't appreciate
> the accusatory tone here.
>
> The code in question binds to a clk-pmc-atom platform_device which
> gets instantiated by drivers/platform/x86/pmc_atom.c. Which in turn
> binds to a PCI device which is only present on Bay Trail and Cherry
> Trail SoCs.
>
> IOW the commit operates as advertised in its Subject:
> "clk: x86: add "ether_clk" alias for Bay Trail / Cherry Trail"
>
> So with that all clarified lets try to see if we can figure out
> *why* this is actually happening.
>
> Petr, can you describe your hardware in some more detail,
> in the bits quoted when you first Cc-ed me there is not that
> much detail. What is the vendor and model of your laptop?
>
> Looking closer at commit 9f0b54cd167219
> ("r8169: move switching optional clock on/off to pll power functions")
> I notice that the functions which now enable/disable the clock:
> rtl_pll_power_up() and rtl_pll_power_down()
>
> Only run when the interface is up during suspend/resume.
> Petr, I guess the laptop is not connected to ethernet when you
> hibernate it?
>
> That means that on resume the clock will not be re-enabled.
>
> This is a subtle but important change and I believe that
> this is what is breaking things. I guess that the PLL which
> rtl_pll_power_up() / rtl_pll_power_down() controls is only
> used for ethernet-timing.  But the external clock controlled
> through pt->clk is a replacement for using an external
> crystal with the r8169 chip. So with it disabled, the entire
> chip does not have a clock and is essentially dead.
> It can then e.g. not respond to any pci-e reads/writes done
> to it.
>
> So I believe that the proper fix for this is to revert
> commit 9f0b54cd167219
> ("r8169: move switching optional clock on/off to pll power functions")
>
> As that caused the whole chip's clock to be left off after
> a suspend/resume while the interface is down.
>
> Also some remarks about this while I'm being a bit grumpy about
> all this anyways (sorry):
>
> 1. 9f0b54cd167219 ("r8169: move switching optional clock on/off
> to pll power functions") commit's message does not seem to really
> explain why this change was made...
>
> 2. If a git blame would have been done to find the commit adding
> the clk support: commit c2f6f3ee7f22 ("r8169: Get and enable optional ether_clk clock")
> then you could have known that the clk in question is an external
> clock for the entire chip, the commit message pretty clearly states
> this (although "the entire" part is implied only) :
>
> "On some boards a platform clock is used as clock for the r8169 chip,
> this commit adds support for getting and enabling this clock (assuming

Even if the missing clock would stop the network chip completely,
this shouldn't freeze the system as described by Petr.
In some old RTL8169S spec an external 25MHz clock is mentioned,
what matches the MII bus frequency. Therefore I'm not 100% convinced
that the clock is needed for basic chip operation, but due to
Realtek not releasing datasheets I can't verify this.

But yes, if reverting this change avoids the issue on Petr's system,
then we should do it. A simple mechanical revert wouldn't work because
source file structure has changed since then, so I'll prepare a patch
that effectively reverts the change.

> This is related to commit d31fd43c0f9a ("clk: x86: Do not gate clocks
> enabled by the firmware") which is a previous attempt to fix this for some
> x86 boards, but this causes all Cherry Trail SoC using boards to not reach
> there lowest power states when suspending.
>
> This commit (together with an atom-pmc-clk driver commit adding the alias)
> fixes things properly by making the r8169 get the clock and enable it when
> it needs it."
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Heiner