Date:   Wed, 30 Sep 2020 23:44:07 +0200
From:   Petr Tesarik <ptesarik@...e.cz>
To:     Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>
Cc:     Realtek linux nic maintainers <nic_swsd@...ltek.com>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RTL8402 stops working after hibernate/resume

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 22:11:02 +0200
Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com> wrote:

> On 30.09.2020 20:00, Petr Tesarik wrote:
>[...]
> > WoL still does not work on my laptop, but this might be an unrelated
> > issue, and I can even imagine the BIOS is buggy in this regard.
> >
> A simple further check you could do:
> After sending the WoL packet (that doesn't wake the system) you wake
> the system by e.g. a keystroke. Then check in /proc/interrupts for
> a PCIe PME interrupt. If there's a PME interrupt, then the network
> chip successfully detected the WoL packet, and it seems we have to
> blame the BIOS.

Well, the switch does not sense carrier on the corresponding port while
the laptop is suspended, so I'm pretty sure nothing gets delivered over
that link. No, I suspect the ACPI suspend method turns off the RTL8208
PHY chip, maybe as a side effect...

But I don't need working WoL on this system - look, this is cheap old
stuff that the previous owner considered electronic waste. I even
suspect this was because wired network never worked well after resume.
With your fix, this piece can still serve some purpose.

Thank you!

Petr T