Date:   Tue, 27 Oct 2020 15:56:35 -0700
From:   Jacob Keller <jacob.e.keller@...el.com>
To:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
Subject: checkpatch.pl broke in net-next

Hi Jakub,

It looks like net-next just pulled in a change to checkpatch.pl which
causes it to break:

$ ./scripts/checkpatch.pl
Global symbol "$gitroot" requires explicit package name (did you forget
to declare "my $gitroot"?) at ./scripts/checkpatch.pl line 980.
Execution of ./scripts/checkpatch.pl aborted due to compilation errors.
ERROR: checkpatch.pl failed: 255

It is caused by commit f5f613259f3f ("checkpatch: allow not using -f
with files that are in git"), which appears to make use of "$gitroot".

This variable doesn't exist, so of course the perl script breaks.

This commit appears in Linus' tree, and must have been picked up when we
merged with his tree.

This issue is fixed by 0f7f635b0648 ("checkpatch: enable GIT_DIR
environment use to set git repository location") which is the commit
that actually introduces $gitroot.

Any chance we can get this merged into net-next? It has broken our
automation that runs checkpatch.pl

Thanks,
Jake