Date:   Fri, 20 Nov 2020 00:40:48 +0000
From:   Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@...linux.org.uk>
To:     Tobias Waldekranz <tobias@...dekranz.com>
Cc:     Maxime Chevallier <maxime.chevallier@...tlin.com>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...il.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>,
        Antoine Tenart <atenart@...nel.org>,
        Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@...tlin.com>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Subject: Re: net: phy: Dealing with 88e1543 dual-port mode

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 01:11:12AM +0100, Tobias Waldekranz wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 23:16, Russell King - ARM Linux admin <linux@...linux.org.uk> wrote:

> >> Do you mean something like:
> >>
> >> SGMII->SGMII (Fibre):
> >> ethernet-phy@0 {
> >>    sfp = <&sfp0>;
> >> };
> >>
> >> SGMII->MDI (Copper):
> >> ethernet-phy@0 {
> >>     mdi;
> >> };
> >>
> >> SGMII->Auto Media Detect
> >> ethernet-phy@0 {
> >>     mdi;
> >>     sfp = <&sfp0>;
> >> };
> >
> > This isn't something we could realistically do - think about how many
> > DT files are out there today which would not have this for an existing
> > PHY. The default has to be that today's DT descriptions continue to work
> > as-is, and that includes ones which already support copper and fibre
> > either with or without a sfp property.
> >
> > So, we can't draw any conclusion about whether the fiber interface is
> > wired from whether there is a sfp property or not.
> >
> > We also can't draw a conclusion about whether the copper side is wired
> > using a "mdi" property, or whether there is a "sfp" property or not.
> >
> > The only thing we could realistically do today is to introduce a
> > property like:
> >
> > 	mdi = "disabled" | "okay";
> >
> > to indicate whether the copper port can be used, and maybe something
> > similar for the fiber interface.  Maybe as you suggest, not "okay"
> > but specifying the number of connected pairs would be a good idea,
> > or maybe that should be a separate property?
>
> Maybe you could have optional media nodes under the PHY instead, so that
> you don't involve the SFP property in the logic (SGMII can be connected
> to lots of things after all):

I think you're advocating calling the fiber interface "SGMII", which
would be totally wrong.

SGMII is a Cisco modification of 802.3 1000base-X to allow 10M and 100M
speeds to be used over a single serdes lane in each direction.

1000base-X is what you run over a fiber link. This is not SGMII. Using
"SGMII" for 1000base-X is incorrect, but a common abuse of the term in
industry. Abusing a term does not make it correct, especially when it
comes to defining further standards.

(This is one of my pet peaves, sorry.)

FTTP is here! 40Mbps down 10Mbps up. Decent connectivity at last!