Date:   Tue, 8 Dec 2020 09:27:52 +0100
From:   Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@...nel.org>
To:     David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>
Cc:     Bruce Fields <bfields@...ldses.org>,
        Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@...cle.com>,
        CIFS <linux-cifs@...r.kernel.org>,
        Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
        "open list:BPF JIT for MIPS (32-BIT AND 64-BIT)"
        <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@...merspace.com>,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-afs@...ts.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Why the auxiliary cipher in gss_krb5_crypto.c?

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 at 15:15, David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com> wrote:

> Ard Biesheuvel <ardb@...nel.org> wrote:
>
> > > I wonder if it would help if the input buffer and output buffer didn't
> > > have to correspond exactly in usage - ie. the output buffer could be used
> > > at a slower rate than the input to allow for buffering inside the crypto
> > > algorithm.
> > >

> > I don't follow - how could one be used at a slower rate?
>
> I mean that the crypto algorithm might need to buffer the last part of the
> input until it has a block's worth before it can write to the output.

This is what is typically handled transparently by the driver. When
you populate a scatterlist, it doesn't matter how misaligned the
individual elements are, the scatterlist walker will always present
the data in chunks that the crypto algorithm can manage. This is why
using a single scatterlist for the entire input is preferable in
general.