Date:   Tue, 8 Dec 2020 18:23:57 -0800
From:   Brian Norris <briannorris@...omium.org>
To:     Edward Cree <ecree.xilinx@...il.com>
Cc:     Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Kalle Valo <kvalo@...eaurora.org>,
        "<netdev@...r.kernel.org>" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-wireless <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: pull-request: wireless-drivers-next-2020-12-03

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 7:01 AM Edward Cree <ecree.xilinx@...il.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that it's because users can have them in their
>  modprobe.conf, which causes breakage if an update removes the param.
>  I think the module insert fails if there are unrecognised parameters
>  there.

That's a nice understanding, but I believe it's an incorrect one:

# echo 'options rtw88_pci doesnotexist=helloworld' >> /etc/modprobe.d/rtw.conf
# modprobe rtw88_pci; echo $?
0

In fact, while I was already quite aware about the removal Jakub is
highlighting (in the rtw88 driver), I was a user of the parameter, and
was quite happy to see it die (because now the driver does the Right
Thing automatically). I still left the option in my modprobe.conf,
while I finished staging upgrades of all my systems. I ran into no
problems, and now that the migration is done, I killed the
modprobe.conf entry.

Brian