Date:   Wed, 23 Dec 2020 14:38:35 +0800
From:   Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>
To:     Xie Yongji <xieyongji@...edance.com>, mst@...hat.com,
        stefanha@...hat.com, sgarzare@...hat.com, parav@...dia.com,
        akpm@...ux-foundation.org, rdunlap@...radead.org,
        willy@...radead.org, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk, axboe@...nel.dk,
        bcrl@...ck.org, corbet@....net
Cc:     virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        kvm@...r.kernel.org, linux-aio@...ck.org,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 00/13] Introduce VDUSE - vDPA Device in Userspace

On 2020/12/22 下午10:52, Xie Yongji wrote:
> This series introduces a framework, which can be used to implement
> vDPA Devices in a userspace program. The work consist of two parts:
> control path forwarding and data path offloading.
>
> In the control path, the VDUSE driver will make use of message
> mechnism to forward the config operation from vdpa bus driver
> to userspace. Userspace can use read()/write() to receive/reply
> those control messages.
>
> In the data path, the core is mapping dma buffer into VDUSE
> daemon's address space, which can be implemented in different ways
> depending on the vdpa bus to which the vDPA device is attached.
>
> In virtio-vdpa case, we implements a MMU-based on-chip IOMMU driver with
> bounce-buffering mechanism to achieve that.

Rethink about the bounce buffer stuffs. I wonder instead of using kernel
pages with mmap(), how about just use userspace pages like what vhost did?

It means we need a worker to do bouncing but we don't need to care about
annoying stuffs like page reclaiming?

> [...]
> |           |                           |                           |                       |        |
> | ----------+----------       ----------+-----------         -------+-------                |        |
> | | virtio-blk driver |       |  vhost-vdpa driver |         | vdpa device |                |        |
> | ----------+----------       ----------+-----------         -------+-------                |        |
> |           |      virtio bus           |                           |                       |        |
> |   --------+----+-----------           |                           |                       |        |
> |                |                      |                           |                       |        |
> |      ----------+----------            |                           |                       |        |
> |      | virtio-blk device |            |                           |                       |        |
> |      ----------+----------            |                           |                       |        |
> |                |                      |                           |                       |        |
> |     -----------+-----------           |                           |                       |        |
> |     |  virtio-vdpa driver |           |                           |                       |        |
> |     -----------+-----------           |                           |                       |        |
> |                |                      |                           |    vdpa bus           |        |
> |     -----------+----------------------+---------------------------+------------           |        |
> |                                                                                        ---+---     |
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| NIC |------
>                                                                                           ---+---
>                                                                                     ---------+---------
>                                                                                     | Remote Storages |
>                                                                                     -------------------
>
> We make use of it to implement a block device connecting to
> our distributed storage, which can be used both in containers and
> VMs. Thus, we can have an unified technology stack in this two cases.
>
> To test it with null-blk:
>
>    $ qemu-storage-daemon \
>        --chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/tmp/qmp.sock,server,nowait \
>        --monitor chardev=charmonitor \
>        --blockdev driver=host_device,cache.direct=on,aio=native,filename=/dev/nullb0,node-name=disk0 \
>        --export vduse-blk,id=test,node-name=disk0,writable=on,vduse-id=1,num-queues=16,queue-size=128
>
> The qemu-storage-daemon can be found at https://github.com/bytedance/qemu/tree/vduse
>
> Future work:
>    - Improve performance (e.g. zero copy implementation in datapath)
>    - Config interrupt support
>    - Userspace library (find a way to reuse device emulation code in qemu/rust-vmm)

I may miss something but I don't see any code to support that. E.g
neither set_map nor dma_map/unmap is implemented in the config ops.

Thanks