Date:   Wed, 24 Mar 2021 16:07:47 -0700
From:   Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
To:     Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>
Cc:     Martin Blumenstingl <martin.blumenstingl@...glemail.com>,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, Hauke Mehrtens <hauke@...ke-m.de>,
        andrew@...n.ch, vivien.didelot@...il.com, davem@...emloft.net,
        kuba@...nel.org
Subject: Re: lantiq_xrx200: Ethernet MAC with multiple TX queues

On 3/24/2021 3:21 PM, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 02:09:02PM -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
>>

>> On 3/24/2021 1:13 PM, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
>>> Hi Martin,

>> If you use DSA you will have a DSA slave network device which will be
>> calling into dev_queue_xmit() into the DSA master which will be the
>> xrx200 driver, so it's fairly simple for you to implement a queue
>> selection within the xrx200 tagger for instance.
>>
>> You can take a look at how net/dsa/tag_brcm.c and
>> drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bcmsysport.c work as far as mapping queues
>> from the DSA slave network device queue/port number into a queue number
>> for the DSA master.
>
> What are the benefits of mapping packets to TX queues of the DSA master
> from the DSA layer?

For systemport and bcm_sf2 this was explained in this commit:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=d156576362c07e954dc36e07b0d7b0733a010f7d

in a nutshell, the switch hardware can return the queue status back to
the systemport's transmit DMA such that it can automatically pace the TX
completion interrupts. To do that we need to establish a mapping between
the DSA slave and master that is comprised of the switch port number and
TX queue number, and tell the HW to inspect the congestion status of
that particular port and queue.

What this is meant to address is a "lossless" (within the SoC at least)
behavior when you have user ports that are connected at a speed lower
than that of your internal connection to the switch typically Gigabit or
more. If you send 1Gbits/sec worth of traffic down to a port that is
connected at 100Mbits/sec there will be roughly 90% packet loss unless
you have a way to pace the Ethernet controller's transmit DMA, which
then ultimately limits the TX completion of the socket buffers so things
work nicely. I believe that per queue flow control was evaluated before
and an out of band mechanism was preferred but I do not remember the
details of that decision to use ACB.
--
Florian