Date:   Wed, 24 Mar 2021 10:36:45 +0800
From:   Yunsheng Lin <linyunsheng@...wei.com>
To:     Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
CC:     "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@...c4.com>,
        Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@...hat.com>,
        "Jakub Kicinski" <kuba@...nel.org>,
        David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "Vladimir Oltean" <olteanv@...il.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        "Daniel Borkmann" <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Andrii Nakryiko <andriin@...com>,
        "Eric Dumazet" <edumazet@...gle.com>, Wei Wang <weiwan@...gle.com>,
        "Cong Wang ." <cong.wang@...edance.com>,
        Taehee Yoo <ap420073@...il.com>,
        "Linux Kernel Network Developers" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <linuxarm@...neuler.org>,
        Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@...gutronix.de>,
        <linux-can@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Linuxarm] Re: [RFC v2] net: sched: implement TCQ_F_CAN_BYPASS
 for lockless qdisc

On 2021/3/24 9:49, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 5:55 PM Yunsheng Lin <linyunsheng@...wei.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think so. Usually we have one queue for each CPU so we can expect
>>> each CPU has a lockless qdisc assigned, but we can not assume this in
>>> the code, so we still have to deal with multiple CPU's sharing a lockless qdisc,
>>> and we usually enqueue and dequeue in process context, so it means we could
>>> have multiple producers and multiple consumers.
>>
>> For lockless qdisc, dequeuing is always within the qdisc_run_begin() and
>> qdisc_run_end(), so multiple consumers is protected with each other by
>> q->seqlock .
>
> So are you saying you will never go lockless for lockless qdisc? I thought
> you really want to go lockless with Jason's proposal of MPMC ring buffer
> code.

I think we has different definition about lockless qdisc.

For my understanding, the dequeuing is within the qdisc_run_begin()
and qdisc_run_end(), so it is always protected by q->seqlock for
lockless qdisck currently, and by lockless qdisc, I never mean
lockless dequeuing, and I am not proposing lockless dequeuing
currently.

Current lockless qdisc for pfifo_fast only means there is no lock
for protection between dequeuing and enqueuing, which also means
when __qdisc_run() is dequeuing a skb while other cpu is enqueuing
a skb.

But enqueuing is protected by producer_lock in skb_array_produce(),
so only one cpu can do the enqueuing at the same time, so I am
proposing to use Jason's proposal to enable multi cpus to do
concurrent enqueuing without taking any lock.

>> For enqueuing, multiple consumers is protected by producer_lock, see
>> pfifo_fast_enqueue() -> skb_array_produce() -> ptr_ring_produce().
>
> I think you seriously misunderstand how we classify MPMC or MPSC,
> it is not about how we lock them, it is about whether we truly have
> a single or multiple consumers regardless of locks used, because the
> goal is to go lockless.

I think I am only relying on the MPSC(multi-produce & single-consumer),
as explained above.

>> I am not sure if lockless MSPC can work with the process context, but
>> even if not, the enqueuing is also protected by rcu_read_lock_bh(),
>> which provides some kind of atomicity, so that producer_lock can be
>> reomved when lockless MSPC is used.
>

> Not sure if I can even understand what you are saying here, Jason's
> code only disables preemption with busy wait, I can't see why it can
> not be used in the process context.

I am saying q->enqeue() is protected by rcu_read_lock_bh().
rcu_read_lock_bh() will disable preemption for us for most configuation,
otherwise it will break netdev_xmit_more() interface too, for it relies
on the cpu not being prempted by using per cpu var(softnet_data.xmit.more).