Date:   Wed, 31 Mar 2021 08:56:28 -0500
From:   George McCollister <george.mccollister@...il.com>
To:     "Wyse, Chris" <cwyse@...oga.com>
Cc:     "andrew@...n.ch" <andrew@...n.ch>,
        "drichards@...inj.com" <drichards@...inj.com>
Subject: Re: DSA

[snip]

I'm using an i210 w/ mdio to connect to cascaded mv88e6390 switches on
an Intel platform. I have patches based on patches sent in 2014 that
allow use of mdio and configuration with device-tree. I'd like to get
them upstreamed but there are some unresolved problems. For one I have
no way of testing external mdio connected phys since my board only
connects to a switch. Second it's not clear what the "correct" mode
configured in the EEPROM should be SGMII, 1000BASE_KX or SERDES. Based
on 2014 mailing list discussion I'm using SGMII in the EEPROM
configuration but it ends up having to change the link mode to
E1000_CTRL_EXT_LINK_MODE_PCIE_SERDES when a phy is not detected or it
won't link with the mv88e6390. I think there may be push back from
upstream in changing the behavior of various modes even if external
mdio is enabled in the EEPROM due to fear that vendors may have
enabled it for no reason (needs more investigation). I've also had to
add a hack to the mv88e6xxx driver to stop calling
phylink_helper_basex_speed, otherwise it always tries to use
2500base-x which doesn't work with the i210. I posted to the ML about
this but no one bothered to reply.

My Intel Atom platform happens to be using u-boot rather than UEFI so
I'm able to apply DT overlays based on detected PCI subsystem VID/ID
before the linux kernel is started.

I'm on #linuxswitch on Freenode if there is anything you want to
discuss off the list. If any of you have interest in getting these
patches upstream it would be great to work with someone on it.

You can find what I have here:
https://github.com/gmccollister/linux/tree/net-i210-mv88e6390

Regards,
George McCollister