Date:   Mon, 5 Apr 2021 17:36:27 -0700
From:   Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>
To:     Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>
Cc:     Linux Kernel Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        bpf <bpf@...r.kernel.org>, duanxiongchun@...edance.com,
        Dongdong Wang <wangdongdong.6@...edance.com>,
        Muchun Song <songmuchun@...edance.com>,
        Cong Wang <cong.wang@...edance.com>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Andrii Nakryiko <andrii@...nel.org>,
        Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>,
        Song Liu <songliubraving@...com>, Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>
Subject: Re: [RFC Patch bpf-next] bpf: introduce bpf timer

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:45 PM Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@...il.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > bpf_map_delete_elem() either from bpf prog or from user space
> > > does del_timer() if elem->opaque != 0.
> > > If prog refers such hmap as above during prog free the kernel does
> > > for_each_map_elem {if (elem->opaque) del_timer().}
> > > I think that is the simplest way of prevent timers firing past the prog life time.
> > > There could be other ways to solve it (like prog_array and ref/uref).
> > >
> > > Pseudo code:
> > > int bpf_timer_init(struct bpf_timer *timer, void *timer_cb, int flags)
> > > {
> > >   if (timer->opaque)
> > >     return -EBUSY;
> > >   t = alloc timer_list
> > >   t->cb = timer_cb;
> > >   t->..
> > >   timer->opaque = (long)t;
> > > }
> > >
> > > int bpf_timer_mod(struct bpf_timer *timer, u64 expires)
> > > {
> > >   if (!time->opaque)
> > >     return -EINVAL;
> > >   t = (struct timer_list *)timer->opaque;
> > >   mod_timer(t,..);
> > > }
> > >
> > > int bpf_timer_del(struct bpf_timer *timer)
> > > {
> > >   if (!time->opaque)
> > >     return -EINVAL;
> > >   t = (struct timer_list *)timer->opaque;
> > >   del_timer(t);
> > > }
> > >
> > > The verifier would need to check that 8 bytes occupied by bpf_timer and not accessed
> > > via load/store by the program. The same way it does it for bpf_spin_lock.
> >
> > This does not work, because bpf_timer_del() has to be matched
> > with bpf_timer_init(), otherwise we would leak timer resources.
> > For example:
> >
> > SEC("foo")
> > bad_ebpf_code()
> > {
> >   struct bpf_timer t;
> >   bpf_timer_init(&t, ...); // allocate a timer
> >   bpf_timer_mod(&t, ..);
> >   // end of BPF program
> >   // now the timer is leaked, no one will delete it
> > }
> >
> > We can not enforce the matching in the verifier, because users would
> > have to call bpf_timer_del() before exiting, which is not what we want
> > either.
>
> ```
> bad_ebpf_code()
> {
>   struct bpf_timer t;
> ```
> is not at all what was proposed. This kind of code will be rejected by the verifier.
>
> 'struct bpf_timer' has to be part of the map element and the verifier will enforce that
> just like it does so for bpf_spin_lock.
> Try writing the following program:
> ```
> bad_ebpf_code()
> {
>   struct bpf_spin_lock t;
>   bpf_spin_lock(&t);
> }
> ``
> and then follow the code to see why the verifier rejects it.

Well, embedding a spinlock makes sense as it is used to protect
the value it is associated with, but for a timer, no, it has no value
to associate. Even if it does, updating it requires a lock as the
callback can run concurrently with value update. So, they are very
different hence should be treated differently rather than similarly.

> The implementation of what I'm proposing is straightforward.
> I certainly understand that it might look intimidating and "impossible",
> but it's really quite simple.

How do you refcnt the struct bpf_prog with your approach? Or with
actually any attempt to create timers in kernel-space. I am not intimidated
but quite happy to hear. If you do it in the verifier, we do not know which
code path is actually executed when running it. If you do it with JIT, I do
not see how JIT can even get the right struct bpf_prog pointer in context.

This is how I concluded it looks impossible, which has nothing to do
with whether we have a map or not. Map issue is much easier to solve,
whether using what you mentioned or what I showed.

Thanks.