Date:   Thu, 8 Apr 2021 12:38:22 +0200
From:   Kestrel seventyfour <kestrelseventyfour@...il.com>
To:     netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Remote netlink or other solution to map 2nd SoC wlan0 device into 1st SoC?

Hi,

I am working on better supporting fritzbox 7490 with linux. It has an
implementation where there are two SoC on the board. 1st is lantiq
with no wifi, 2nd is ath79 with 2 wifis. The lantiq SoC has a 5 port
switch, where the 5th port is the eth 1Gb link to the ath79 SoC which
has eth0, wlan0 and wlan1 (for both 2,4 and 5ghz wifis, ath9k and
ath10k). The ath79 SoC can be booted with a linux by using mdio.
Now I wonder if there is a possibility to configure the wlan0 device
that resides on the ath79 SoC from the lantiq SoC with iw, ip,
hostapd.
I saw that there is a python implementation of remote netlink
(pyroute2), is that a solution for my issue? In the mean time for
cloud, virtualization, etc. there are so many possibilities of
networking, that I wonder if there is a way to map wlan0 from the
ath79 SoC into the lantiq SoC?
The best way would be by just configuring MAC addresses, such that the
ath79 Soc would not require an ip address and the netlink based
commands will be routed from the lantiq SoC to the ath79 Soc.
Is there anything available that allows something like that?
If a driver is needed, should it just reimplement something like
pyroute2 or are there better solutions?

Thanks in advance.
Kestrel