Date:   Fri, 7 May 2021 10:59:38 +0200
From:   Daniel Vetter <daniel@...ll.ch>
To:     Kenny Ho <y2kenny@...il.com>
Cc:     Daniel Vetter <daniel@...ll.ch>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@...il.com>,
        Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com>, Kenny Ho <Kenny.Ho@....com>,
        Alexander Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
        Alexei Starovoitov <ast@...nel.org>,
        Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
        Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@...com>,
        Song Liu <songliubraving@...com>, Yonghong Song <yhs@...com>,
        Andrii Nakryiko <andriin@...com>,
        John Fastabend <john.fastabend@...il.com>,
        KP Singh <kpsingh@...omium.org>, bpf <bpf@...r.kernel.org>,
        Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux-Fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "open list:CONTROL GROUP (CGROUP)" <cgroups@...r.kernel.org>,
        Alex Deucher <alexander.deucher@....com>,
        amd-gfx list <amd-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        DRI Development <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        Brian Welty <brian.welty@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Add BPF_PROG_TYPE_CGROUP_IOCTL

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 10:06:32PM -0400, Kenny Ho wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply (I have been working on other stuff.)
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 8:49 AM Daniel Vetter <daniel@...ll.ch> wrote:
> >
> > So I agree that on one side CU mask can be used for low-level quality
> > of service guarantees (like the CLOS cache stuff on intel cpus as an
> > example), and that's going to be rather hw specific no matter what.
> >
> > But my understanding of AMD's plans here is that CU mask is the only
> > thing you'll have to partition gpu usage in a multi-tenant environment
> > - whether that's cloud or also whether that's containing apps to make
> > sure the compositor can still draw the desktop (except for fullscreen
> > ofc) doesn't really matter I think.
> This is not correct.  Even in the original cgroup proposal, it
> supports both mask and count as a way to define unit(s) of sub-device.
> For AMD, we already have SRIOV that supports GPU partitioning in a
> time-sliced-of-a-whole-GPU fashion.

Hm I missed that. I feel like time-sliced-of-a-whole gpu is the easier gpu
cgroups controler to get started, since it's much closer to other cgroups
that control bandwidth of some kind. Whether it's i/o bandwidth or compute
bandwidht is kinda a wash.

CU mask feels a lot more like an isolation/guaranteed forward progress
kind of thing, and I suspect that's always going to be a lot more gpu hw
specific than anything we can reasonably put into a general cgroups
controller.

Also for the time slice cgroups thing, can you pls give me pointers to
these old patches that had it, and how it's done? I very obviously missed
that part.

Thanks, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter