Date:   Fri, 7 May 2021 21:25:57 +0800
From:   Coiby Xu <coiby.xu@...il.com>
To:     Benjamin Poirier <benjamin.poirier@...il.com>
Cc:     linux-staging@...ts.linux.dev, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: About improving the qlge Ethernet driver by following
 drivers/staging/qlge/TODO

On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 09:16:20PM +0900, Benjamin Poirier wrote:
>On 2021-05-07 09:32 +0800, Coiby Xu wrote:
>[...]
>> >
>> > Here are other examples of what I would call weird line wrapping:
>> >
>> > 	status = qlge_validate_flash(qdev,
>> > 				     sizeof(struct flash_params_8000) /
>> > 				   sizeof(u16),
>> > 				   "8000");
>>
>> Oh, I also found this one but I think it more fits another TODO item,
>> i.e., "* fix weird indentation (all over, ex. the for loops in
>> qlge_get_stats())".
>>

>> > 	status = qlge_wait_reg_rdy(qdev,
>> > 				   XGMAC_ADDR, XGMAC_ADDR_RDY, XGMAC_ADDR_XME);
>> >
>> > [...]
>>
>> Do you mean we should change it as follows,
>>

>> 	status = qlge_wait_reg_rdy(qdev, XGMAC_ADDR, XGMAC_ADDR_RDY,
>> 				               XGMAC_ADDR_XME);
>
>	status = qlge_wait_reg_rdy(qdev, XGMAC_ADDR, XGMAC_ADDR_RDY,
>				   XGMAC_ADDR_XME);

Thanks! This is what I meant, i.e. qdev is aligned with XGMAC_ADDR_XME.
Somehow when replying in the editor, the format is different from view
mode. So I made a mistake by manually adding spaces to XGMAC_ADDR_XME
to make it appear aligned with qdev in the editor.

>> "V=" in vim could detect some indentation problems but not the line
>> wrapping issue. So I just scanned the code manually to find this issue. Do
>> you know there is a tool that could check if the code fits the kernel
>> coding style?
>
>See Documentation/process/coding-style.rst section 9.

Great. clang-format is exactly what I need. It could detect the above
qlge_wait_reg_rdy issue and even automatically fix the issue. I will run
clang-format after finishing other TODO items.

Thanks. I'll use https://github.com/vivien/vim-linux-coding-style:)

--
Best regards,
Coiby