Date:   Fri, 14 May 2021 06:41:28 +0000
From:   "Y.b. Lu" <yangbo.lu@....com>
To:     Richard Cochran <richardcochran@...il.com>
CC:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Claudiu Manoil <claudiu.manoil@....com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
Subject: RE: [net-next 0/6] ptp: support virtual clocks for multiple domains

Hi Richard,

I give up supporting physical clock and the timecounters adjusting at the same time, but I may continue to support virtual clock per your suggestion.

Getting back to your user space idea, I'd like to understand further to see if I can make some contribution.
Actually I can't think out how to track (there is not timecouner like in kernel) in a easy way, and I have some concerns too.

I assume we have a way for physical clock domain to track phase and frequency offset for each of other domains.
Are the phase and frequency offset enough to convert timestamp?

Still the key problem is hiding physical clock changes for the virtual.
There is another reason that I initially gave workaround of no stepping on physical clock.
Because timestamping is asynchronous with physical clock phase changing.
When a timestamp is captured and physical clock time has a small change, we have no idea if timestamping happened before or after clock changing during conversion.

Finally gPTP standard does use management messages. I think it doesn’t matter only if it implements the function we need.
Maybe I haven't got your point...

Thanks a lot.